1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ants in the Coop... Help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savilcr, Jun 15, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    I have been having a problem with anys getting in my coop. They are very small ants but im worried if i put ant killer in there one of the birds might eat it. any suggestions?

2. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    D E

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Let the chickens eat the ants! mine love em

4. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mine too! They chase them around in the run.[​IMG] then chase each other! LOL

5. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:x2. It's a self-correcting problem.

6. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    the ants are in the nest though, i guess I will just leave them there, will DE work?

7. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    I would use DE first. The ants down here in the south are different from up north. I lost a litter of bunnies as the ants swarmed the nest and what they didn't kill the mama did stomping trying to get rid of them. Am moving my rabbits due to issues. [​IMG]

8. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    Yea I would try DE I had ants kill my rabbit as well when I was a kid they swarmed him to death and he had no where to go. They can be very persistant so just be diligent with applying every so often. You can also make up a spray in an empty bottle with ivory soap, veg. oil, and water and spray them that will probably be able to suffocate them on contact and maybe deter them from comming around the coop. It's a great organic method for treating nuisance pests [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by