Ants in the coop!

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Ive taken to digging out the wettest bedding routinely and adding on top and doing a full clean out about once monthly. Tonight was the big cleanout night. In one corner I found lots of ants , black ones , not fire ants or anything, my coop is raised, framed with wood, steel mesh floor with stall mats on top. I use pine bedding that i refresh every 1-2 days. I have noticed them not using that corner much. A quick search found a recommendation of using 1:1 vinegar solution, sounded safe enough but i don’t think it will work ling term. What can i do? Whats safe for the ducks but would rid the ants?
please advise.

Are they small black ants? We get them in our home and make a sugar/borax solution for them - you can Google the recipe. We have cats and don't use poison. We drill holes in plastic containers big enough for the ants to come inside. And put cotton balls soaked with the solution inside the containers so my cats can't get it. We never see piles of dead ants around the containers so I think they take it home. In a day or two we have significantly less ants and then none. They do eventually come back.

I don't know if it is safe for ducks. But maybe you could mount it on the wall out of duck reach, and it seems worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom