Ants killing chicks:(

Here on our little farm, we set the fire-ant mounds on fire. If I used Amdro, my birds would think it was treats and eat the stuff. I'd probably have to put a cage over the mound to prevent them from eating the little granules.

We set the mound on fire for about 10 minutes, it works very well, and the chickens aren't eating chemicals.

DE is used in the lawn care business for different insect and grub controls. It is like little shards of glass that cut the insects or grubs when they crawl over it and then helps to dry them out. That's why it is a good multi purpose control.

hit.gif

Today is the day I learned I am afraid of fire ants, and as such will never visit the USA again. Eek.

If you think fire ants are bad, check out Rasberry crazy ants. Those things are really frightening. I hope they dont spread any farther or a form of natural control is found.
There are some natural predators being released to help control fire ants so they should start getting better over the next few years.
We have desert fire ants. Not nearly as bad. I can normally control them with DE and boric acid traps. But, I had my share of imported fire ants in SW OK. They're nasty. One reason, when we move back to OK, I'd prefer to stay farther north.

Back
Top Bottom