Ants

Lunie

Chirping
Oct 4, 2022
Hi! Where I live we have a lot of ants. They are mostly fire ants but after having chickens the ants just exploded. They are in the run and the coop. We have used the
diatomaceous earth stuff that is safe for animals but it doesn't seem to help just make everything dusty. We have used the Zevo spray for them and my mom would spray her mixture of vinegar water and soap in the area also. Nothing seems to help remove the ants. I'm worried if we use our regular ant killer we have the chickens will eat it. The feed is kept out of the coop and run but their water is kept at the door of the run. What do you guys use to help with ants?

Advion bait gel is what I use when I encounter ants, put it in a container the chickens can't get into if it's in their area. My chickens don't eat ants though.
Avion bait gel.
Never heard of it.
Does it work/kill fire ants?

Lunie-i understand exactly what your asking-i have wondered the same thing.
Amdro for fire ants is awesome. It works. Kills the queen and the colony-they don't just move away.
It's a granular that I sprinkle around the edge of mound, without disturbing mound, ants carry back feed die.
I would love to use it in coop/run, however, it looks an awful lot like a dark chicken starter crumble.
I know my chickens would eat it.
I don't know if it would hurt them. Therein lies the question.
Also, if the chickens eat it-theres nothing for the ants to eat.
So I voted mo on that for my coop/run.
I do use it in yard and chicken inaccessible areas.
Not around water coz I don't know damage by runoff.

Sprinkle Permethrin dust or Sevin dust in the pens and use a broom or rake to work it into the soil or sand. Bye bye fire ants. I deal with them as well. You can do this after the birds go into the coop for the night or early the next morning before letting birds out of the coop.

Sprinkle Permethrin dust or Sevin dust in the pens and use a broom or rake to work it into the soil or sand. Bye bye fire ants. I deal with them as well. You can do this after the birds go into the coop for the night or early the next morning before letting birds out of the coop.
After fire ants-oyher types of ants a "ahhhh no big deal ".
The fire ants will get em.
I am highly allergic to fire ant bites. A bite eventually makes an open sore that takes a month to heal. So I do my best to stay away from em.
I remember a time before fire ants.
Walking barefoot in the yard.
Laying on ground or blanket watching falling stars
Picnics (without a table)
Babies/children being able to play in the yard
Sighs.....
We never know what we have til it's gone.

After fire ants-oyher types of ants a "ahhhh no big deal ".
The fire ants will get em.
I am highly allergic to fire ant bites. A bite eventually makes an open sore that takes a month to heal. So I do my best to stay away from em.
I remember a time before fire ants.
Walking barefoot in the yard.
Laying on ground or blanket watching falling stars
Picnics (without a table)
Babies/children being able to play in the yard
Sighs.....
We never know what we have til it's gone.
I've been stung by fire ants as well, not fun. I dont go barefooted, nor wear shorts in the yard, never. It's just common sense.

Advion bait gel is what I use when I encounter ants, put it in a container the chickens can't get into if it's in their area. My chickens don't eat ants though.
I'll try that! My rooster likes to knock over any container he can so I'll have to come up with something to keep him from doing it lol.

I'll try this also! Thank you!

Oh what fun it is to mow over a fire ants mound, and have the wind blow it back at you.
My neighbors have seen me naked 🙄 while I've shed clothes trying to get rid of ants
I enjoy hitting the ant mounds with the riding lawnmower before we had chickens. I would hit the mound it it would just explode in dust. Afterwards I would put the killer on it.

Back
Top Bottom