Ants

Iceegg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 19, 2010
I had a few ant hills in our yard so I put some ant bait on both of them in order to what I thought was protecting the chickens. I was a afraid that my chickens would wander into them and get hurt. Well later this week 3 new ant hills showed up and I just happen to see one of the chickens digging into it and looking for ants and then eating them. I was amazed but was still wondering if the ants could hurt her. The hens seemed to be digging into the hill looking for more as they ate them so I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and can the ants hurt the chicken? I have since went to the 2 anthills I had baited and killed the ants and watered them down and covered with new soil as to prevent the chickens from possible eating any left over ant bait. They are pretty far from the house but just in case they travel that far i don't want the chickens getting sick. Thanks for any information.

I don't think the ants could hurt them. but IDK for sure
hu.gif

Having the birds eat bugs is one of the best benefits of free ranging. Total win/win. More protein for them less pests for you. Remember that chickens are omnivores...they are designed to eat both plant and animal.

Depends on the chickens.. and the ants. My chickens tend to ignore most of the ants. Ants can hurt or even kill broody hens and chicks, especially if you have fire ants like we have around here.

I've always heard that the best way to get rid of ants was to pour boiling water down the entrance on the hill. Totally organic, and we have had some luck with that, but don't have fire ants here. I think my birds would just eat normal ants and be okay.

Ants contain folic acid, which is basically a B vitamin(B9 I believe) that gets converted by the body into other useful form.

It is especially good for growing animals.

The body expells any excess folic acid so there is not really a danger of overdosing, tho too much will turn it around and hide a vitamin B deficiency, I believe B12.

I wish my chickens would eat the ants around here . . .

We have fire ants and I refuse to use poison. If you sprinkle their area with either rice cereal (like for babies), cream of wheat or really fine corn meal, they'll feed it to the queen, it absorbs moisture inside her and expands and kills her. Then the mound will die. It takes a little longer but its much safer for you and pets. You need to put it out when its dry outside and don't get it wet.

Thanks for all the information. I will have to try the baby rice cereal to kill other ant hills. We don't have fire ants here in northern minnesota but I do know those type and I know how they can be very aggressive. I just wasn't sure how well the chickens feet would ward off any ants. It's amazing to watch them hunt and dig in the ant hills and hopefully they will help me rid my yard of ants.

Dora'smom :

I've always heard that the best way to get rid of ants was to pour boiling water down the entrance on the hill. Totally organic, and we have had some luck with that, but don't have fire ants here. I think my birds would just eat normal ants and be okay.

My experiance with that method works really well.
I also just move the chicken tractor partially over an ant hill and let the ladies dig in. Some ants they most definately like more then others. I free range my girls anywhere from 1-6 hrs a day depending on our work schedules. The bug population had gone down Noticably!
I love it.

The lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard​

Back
Top Bottom