Anvil Hunting...

Yetti

Songster
11 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Grass Lake / Chelsea,Mi
Don't know how many of you may have an old anvil buried in the barn or just laying about, but I have been looking for a good one.
I am trying to get enough stuff together to try some blacksmithing type art stuff. since its a bit heavier then shoeing horses I will need a large 200+ lb anvil. I haven't found much I could afford yet. if anyone is near lower Michigan let me know what you have avalible.

I have a friend that posted a pic of about 6 anvils in the back of his truck. Like you he has been doing some blacksmithing
I can ask if he has one to spare and if its ok for you to contact him about it

Anvils are hard to find. DH and I took a blacksmithing course last month at a local museum, and have been trying to accumulate the equipment for a while. We finally found a 125# one, which is not the greatest, but will work until we find a bigger one in better condition. Keep checking your local craigslist, and even ebay, in case one turns up in your area. We got a post vise from ebay, and drove a couple hours to pick it up.

I wish you the best on finding one I know how you feel I've been looking just nothing shows in the prices I can afford!

I've been looking for an anvil for a few years myself. Yesterday was my lucky day
smile.png
I bought a 125# Anvil on Craigslist for $125.00. It was luck of the draw. I came in from the barn and just happen to check craigslist the same minute it was listed. I was the first to respond to the ad, and got it. They're out there somewhere, and no one junks them, so you just have to wait for them to pop up.

You could post a wanted ad for one in the farm and garden section of Craigslist in your area. I've had luck posting wanted ads there for different types of farm related items.

I have a 400 lb anvil at least that is my guess at its weight also have an old grinding wheel thats 8 inches thick and 26 inches across they were part of my great grandfathers blacksmith shop. Also have most of his tools.

I have done a lot of blacksmithing in the past. I once bought a good anvil at a garage sale. I had a friend that was an antique dealer and kept an eye out for anvils when she went to estate sales, got a couple that way at a good price. I once put an add in the local weekly paper for "anvil wanted" and got a ton of replies.
Do not buy a cast iron anvil. It will break and could cause injury. They sell a lot of those on ebay. Almost every state has a blacksmithing group, and they always get together and have tailgate sales. This is your best place to find a good anvil and these local blacksmiths are always good about helping others get started. Unless you are planning on hammering items so large that you need someone else to hold them, a 140 lb anvil will be plenty good. For this reason a vast majority of old anvils are close to that weight. A great book to get is a "Blacksmithing Primer" by Randy McDaniel. I have about 50 different blacksmithing books, and if I was forced to get rid of them all but one, that is the one I would keep. It will serve you well.
Sorry that I could not answer your post sooner, but I am rather new here.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom