Any adivce on a agressive cockerel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cure for an aggressive rooster is simple. A long hot soothing bath in a crockpot with some garlic and onions does wonders. Sure cure.

Life is short, there are lots of roosters, and the price of one chicken is not worth a trip to the ER.

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
I agree. Roosters are a dime a dozen. I also would not feel right about rehoming an aggressive rooster UNLESS I told the new home how he behaves and they still wanted him. But alot of other people will rehome their nasty roo. So buyer beware.

I may be new to chicken keeping, but I cannot/will not condone animal cruelty, even for a naughty rooster. Reading some of these posts make me cringe. My roo is a monster right now, and I will admit it, but he's also very young, and needs to learn who's boss. However, because he was always been babied from day 4, is no where near as aggressive as a lot of people's roos. I have had to give him a light smack on the breast, and hold him down a minute or two in the mud to force submission (and it's working well), but kicking them hard!? Really? Seems excessive, and birds have fragile bones. I mean, either start with them young, rehome, or kill them humanely and quickly. And no, I'm not eating any of my chickens; they are egg laying, fertilizer producing pets. Just my three cents...

I may be new to chicken keeping, but I cannot/will not condone animal cruelty, even for a naughty rooster. Reading some of these posts make me cringe. My roo is a monster right now, and I will admit it, but he's also very young, and needs to learn who's boss. However, because he was always been babied from day 4, is no where near as aggressive as a lot of people's roos. I have had to give him a light smack on the breast, and hold him down a minute or two in the mud to force submission (and it's working well), but kicking them hard!? Really? Seems excessive, and birds have fragile bones. I mean, either start with them young, rehome, or kill them humanely and quickly. And no, I'm not eating any of my chickens; they are egg laying, fertilizer producing pets. Just my three cents...
Well for some people its rather giving them one hard kick and its over or the rooster is slaughtered. Im sure the rooster would rather have a kick then be killed if given the choice.

I don't think anybody is condoning animal cruelty here. It's about discipline. Ever been spanked by a parent? I have, and I had it coming! I learned my lesson. It's about using enough force, just to get the roos attention. If it were me, and the roo still didn't learn after a slight kick, then a bit harder kick is coming. After that, it's the stew pot! I would never consider using excessive force, but how is the roo supposed to learn?

I just fear people get over zealous when they're angry at a bird who's following his instincts. I'd hate to be attacked by a ferocious roo, also.

I just fear people get over zealous when they're angry at a bird who's following his instincts. I'd hate to be attacked by a ferocious roo, also.
I wouldnt purposley try hurt him, i would just do what it takes to make him back down. They can be to dangerous to let them get away with it.

It is not animal cruelty! NO animal is going to run my house or yard! Why would I want to rehome a nasty roo and pass a problem on to someone else? Maybe your rooster being "babied" IS the problem. Roosters are not anything to mess around with, they can cause ALOT of damage. Especially to a child. My children's safety is more important than ANY rooster or hen. I won't tolerate any misbehavior! My kick did not damage the rooster, maybe mentally, but not physically. I did have my chickens from really young and have handled them all and they are very friendly. My chickens have a wonderful home. They range all day with 2 1/2 fenced acres. 2 dogs employed to protect them if necessary and I check on them all day and come running if I hear any calls from the rooster. They are NOT mistreated. They have a piece of chicken heaven! As such I demand respect in return! It is just the way it is in my world. If they don't like it they can fly over the fence, if they wish.....they never have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom