Any adivce on a agressive cockerel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Well he eventually did it, my cockerel attacked me today. I was quite shocked because i really didnt expect it at that point. I walked past him and he flapped at me from behind i i turned around and came for me again so i lifted my welly up, then he came again and i booted him back and he ran away, then the old cockerel chased him away from me (i love the old cockerel now). Then i was filling the water up at the stream and i saw him running up behind me out the corner of my eye and i turned around and he went to jump so i tipped the freezing cold water over him and he ran off. I hope he eventually gets bored and stops because hes really annoying me! It kind of upset me since ive had him since a chick and he was always my favouraite and i saved him from a cat when he got split up from his mother in a attack.

What an ungrateful pri*k!
Hubby & I just shot our 2 naughty roos yesterday. Bad roo to hen ratio. My bad! Should have done this ages ago! My favourite hen has 3 wounds on her back from these buggers! Would have made coq au vin out of them, but they were small. They will be used to legally bait the large numbers of coyotes & foxes around here. I have 1 beautiful Cuckoo Marans rooster to care for my 10 hens now. He is much better with them than the 2 RIR X thugs. Just my 2 cents!

Lovely pics, btw! Good luck to you. Hope he just needed some reminding who was boss. I give them a couple of chances. If they won't learn though, it's the stew pot or predator bait! No sense wasting feed on useless roos!

What an ungrateful pri*k!
Hubby & I just shot our 2 naughty roos yesterday. Bad roo to hen ratio. My bad! Should have done this ages ago! My favourite hen has 3 wounds on her back from these buggers! Would have made coq au vin out of them, but they were small. They will be used to legally bait the large numbers of coyotes & foxes around here. I have 1 beautiful Cuckoo Marans rooster to care for my 10 hens now. He is much better with them than the 2 RIR X thugs. Just my 2 cents!
If only he was nice liek your Maran least they are the same breed!, ive had really bad luck with Maran roos i got attacked by a Cuckoo Maran when i was a kid and now hes attacked me! NO MORE CUCKOO MARAN ROOS! and yes he is the biggest pri*k in the chicken world at the minute!

Advice depends on what you want to do with this bird. If he's young, less then a year, they do go through raging-teenage-hormone faze. Many times they settle down once they hit about a year old, especially if you do a good job discouraging nasty behavior. The bucket of cold water works very well, I've done that a few times myself. It also sounds like you have an older roo who is interested in discouraging bad behavior from the younger one. So you could let him stick around, work with him, see how he does. If he only gets worse and you don't like watching your back all the time then you probably need to get rid of him. My big RIR roo pulled a lot of that baloney when the hormones hit but with time and training he settled down quite a bit after his first birthday and became decent and respectful enough that I let him stay.

Advice depends on what you want to do with this bird. If he's young, less then a year, they do go through raging-teenage-hormone faze. Many times they settle down once they hit about a year old, especially if you do a good job discouraging nasty behavior. The bucket of cold water works very well, I've done that a few times myself. It also sounds like you have an older roo who is interested in discouraging bad behavior from the younger one. So you could let him stick around, work with him, see how he does. If he only gets worse and you don't like watching your back all the time then you probably need to get rid of him. My big RIR roo pulled a lot of that baloney when the hormones hit but with time and training he settled down quite a bit after his first birthday and became decent and respectful enough that I let him stay.
Hes about 33 weeks old...

Also i was wondering, if he attacks me again is it better to ignore him and walk away when he flaps at me or is it better to stand uo to him??

With my first rooster, I NEVER ignored him. I would stamp my foot down just in front of him & basically get in his face. Knee him or not too roughly boot him, if he flies up in retaliation. You are the head rooster! Make it known, and you shouldn't have to do this more than a few times. You must have him back down. When he goes back to the flock, you can then make your way out of his space. Don't let him get you on the way out either. You must assert yourself, without hurting him. My first rooster became the best one I've ever had. Good luck to you!

With my first rooster, I NEVER ignored him. I would stamp my foot down just in front of him & basically get in his face. Knee him or not too roughly boot him, if he flies up in retaliation. You are the head rooster! Make it known, and you shouldn't have to do this more than a few times. You must have him back down. When he goes back to the flock, you can then make your way out of his space. Don't let him get you on the way out either. You must assert yourself, without hurting him. My first rooster became the best one I've ever had. Good luck to you!
Thanks, and believe me he wont win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom