Early signs of agression in Roos/Cockerels

Muser

Chirping
Jun 30, 2023
I have my first ever flock, we kept one rooster out of all the chicks I raised. He seems really sweet so far, does a dance for his hens, does a squat when I pet him, will let me pick him up and generally is a gentle boy when mating with the hens. He's fine around humans and our dogs currently. All birds are all around 6-7 months old. He's the only cockerel in the flock so bo competition. I've heard roos can become aggressive suddenly. What age range does this tend to happen? What behaviours are early signs of a potential problem/aggressive roo/cockerel?

At 6 to 7 months old he doesn't know what he's like; he's still working things out. How the relationship between you and he works out will largely depend on how you treat him and your understanding of why he does what he does and the circumstances in which he's kept.
This article may help you, but please bear in mind the keeping circumstances laid out in the article. A confined rooster is likely to behave differently, although not necessarily any better or worse.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

I second what Shadach said. I was in the same boat last year. I read everything I could find on this site. My young roo was coming of age and due to my lack of knowledge came close to being culled. Understanding his behave help us both. #1 when I let my chickens out in the am I throw treaties.#2 Roo gets his own by hand, he loves peanuts so I pick them out special, now I have given him "kingship". The other girls come around for their hand feeding and it's fine. When we coddle our girls and offer them treats first, we are usurping his job and may feel we a girl snatching. When he gets treats first, he has found food and the girls may now enjoy also. His role is ongoing. I have a silkie roo Frizzle. With him it was several stand offs. I had a long stick that I would sweep under him if he got too close during the engagement. I often had to chase him off, just like my big Roo does. He has spent time in a bachelor pad until my young chicks were big enough to fend him off. This was all last spring and things have calmed down now that the "teen" hormones have settled. Now I have two more young roos coming of age from a fall momma hatch. Geez 😁. The key take away is...aggression or understanding natural behavior. There are "bad" roos. My roo is RIR, which is a breed known to be aggressive. I'm just glad it all worked out. His son's may be a completely different story. Hope this is helpful and wishing you success in your endeavors.

Last edited:
I second what Shadach said. I was in the same boat last year. I read everything I could find on this site. My young roo was coming of age and due to my lack of knowledge came close to being culled. Understanding his behave help us both. #1 when I let my chickens out in the am I throw treaties.#2 Roo gets his own by hand, he loves peanuts so I pick them out special, now I have given him "kingship". The other girls come around for their hand feeding and it's fine. When we coddle our girls and offer them treats first, we are usurping his job and may feel we a girl snatching. When he gets treats first, he has found food and the girls may now enjoy also. His role is ongoing. I have a silkie roo Frizzle. With him it was several stand offs. I had a long stick that I would sweep under him if he got too close during the engagement. I often had to chase him off, just like my big Roo does. He has spent time in a bachelor pad until my young chicks were big enough to fend him off. This was all last spring and things have calmed down now that the "teen" hormones have settled. Now I have two more young roos coming of age from a fall momma hatch. Geez 😁. The key take away is...aggression or understanding natural behavior. There are "bad" roos. My roo is RIR, which is a breed known to be aggressive. I'm just glad it all worked out. His son's may be a completely different story. Hope this is helpful and wishing you success in your endeavors.
Thank you, my Roo is around 7 months old and is (currently) a darling. He's submissive and does a little squat when I pet him/pick him up to check him over. I just try to leave him alone most of the time, the girls too, they all come running for treats every day. I raised him from a chick and the farm where he came from has a bunch of non human aggressive cockerels running around so I'm hoping his genetics help too 😁. I give him the respect he deserves and hope he just stays as he is. Thanks for the tips/tricks, I'll make sure he gets a handful of treats first so he feels like the king he is. I'm happy to be the food dispenser and not a potential competition for his girls lol 😆

Just to bump this post. So my Roo has recently started pecking at the back of my legs, I had assumed this was to ask for more treats but if I pick up any haste in walking, he does a little jump at the back of my legs, never shows any aggression from the front... I'm assuming he's becoming aggressive. Should I be worried? I regularly hand feed him, pick him up, he doesnt struggle, he squats when i stroke his back, so I'm getting mixed signals! Thanks

I don't handle my roosters, other than what needs to be done for their care. In rooster world, everything is about dominance. Who is top dog? So you have to act like you are top dog. I walk through my roosters, not around them. They yield in all circumstances to me.

My roosters will take food from my hands. (and likely feed it to their hens) They are in charge of the flock and their for the hens protection. So that isn't necessarily a challenge to dominance.

In 14 years, I've only had 1 rooster attack me and I've had many, many roosters. (currently have 4) I had a hen that had trouble reintegrating after being broody. She was hiding on the roost and not eating/drinking. So I took her out with the flock and would have her on my lap to reintegrate her. It worked for her reintegration, but the rooster of the flock took it as a challenge to his dominance. He flogged me at hip level and punctured my jeans with his spurs. He would only go after me - not my kids, not my husband, not strangers - just me. The day I bent over to fill the water jug and he went for my head was the day he went in the soup pot.

Just to bump this post. So my Roo has recently started pecking at the back of my legs, I had assumed this was to ask for more treats but if I pick up any haste in walking, he does a little jump at the back of my legs, never shows any aggression from the front... I'm assuming he's becoming aggressive. Should I be worried? I regularly hand feed him, pick him up, he doesnt struggle, he squats when i stroke his back, so I'm getting mixed signals! Thanks
He is testing his dominance with you. Sneaking up behind you. He thinks he is above you and you are his hen.

Pick him up and carry him around for a good while in front of the hens. Show dominance. Make him yield to you.

Back
Top Bottom