Advice please serama cockerel

Might he be depressed after a change in where he lives?
It does almost seem that he’s depressed but I got him August 12th so he has had plenty of time to settle.
I am going to make an appointment at my vets if he doesn’t pick up as I am really worried about him as past few days he’s become more withdrawn he doesn’t even want to roost with the girls recently 😞

So if he was low man on the totem pole where he came from, then you got him and he got picked on, even though you rehomed those girls it might take him a while to really come out of his shell. Molting and weather change they all just kind of spend all their energy growing new feathers. Is he young? Despite what many think, some don’t reach full sexual maturity until older than others. I had some that their dad took much longer than the sons! Mom was over a year before laying , partially because when she hatched and where we live. I’d give him more time. How long have you had him? Sorry I’m on mobile app so I can’t see what you’ve posted without going back.

It does almost seem that he’s depressed but I got him August 12th so he has had plenty of time to settle.
I am going to make an appointment at my vets if he doesn’t pick up as I am really worried about him as past few days he’s become more withdrawn he doesn’t even want to roost with the girls recently 😞
I'm sorry. Hopefully he gets better

He’s definitely not a hen just not acting like a normal rooster

What makes you say it so definitively? The only other thing that could be going on is him not feeling all too upbeat right now, as EuroChick said. It's definitely not him molting, and it's VERY unlikely that a serama over the age of one hasn't sexually matured

What makes you say it so definitively? The only other thing that could be going on is him not feeling all too upbeat right now, as EuroChick said. It's definitely not him molting, and it's VERY unlikely that a serama over the age of one hasn't sexually matured
He was hatched 18/05/2022 and I purchased him August 12th this year so would have definitely laid an egg by now. He walks like a rooster/cockerel and crows at first it was frequently but as the nights are drawing in (we are in the Uk) it is now only mornings. He is bright enough in the morning when he sees me but during the day he seems to become withdrawn. I thought at first he maybe cold even though we are not really stopping below 9 of a night at present but I have set up a heat lamp for him through the night in his own little cage so he can still see the girls and he seems to prefer snuggling up himself under the lamp.
He has not shown any cockerel behaviour since I purchased him only crowing.
If he continues to become more withdrawn I will take him to our vets maybe they can do a blood test on him or something.

Where is the hug icon on this? Sending you a friendly hug, ok......... If depressed, the trick is to get him feeling good about himself in a new environment, so that means special tender care, some special treats, toys if he likes to peck at things and play with them. We had a long time back a RIR who hated just hated being relocated. Nothing seemed to work, but we had a mirror and a ball thing for him, and special treats ( I forget just what but I recall he loved organic yogurt big time!) He seemed to pick up a lot just from the basic stuff we did.

At this point anything you do is good doing, and be experimental. It's like forming a bridge with a special case patient in human care. Trust yourself and try some things, see if you can break him out of where he is at. Getting hen pecked can shake up a whole flock and the dynamic can get way out of balance. He needs to man up ! And play with his toys a while maybe :)
Thank you 🤗

Potentially quite hen with a reproductive issue, but I might be pushing it. Could he be ill? How does his/her stool look? Is the feed moldy?

Potentially quite hen with a reproductive issue, but I might be pushing it. Could he be ill? How does his/her stool look? Is the feed moldy?
No food is fresh they only get the best which is garvo here 😉
Toilet normal. I could always get him dna sexed but I am very sure he’s a boy and the lady who bred him has been forthcoming I explained his behaviour and she just said give him time as he’s not had his own girls before and her other cockerels wouldn’t let him near the other hens they were all in a big group… maybe I am expecting too much but I just know my previous cockerel of the same age was all over his girls calling them for treats etc….

Back
Top Bottom