Hens almost kill young cockerel

Shanmariee

Hatching
Mar 27, 2024
So I have four laying hens about a year in age. I just lost my roo to a fox and was given two 3 month old silkie roosters. They are so sweet and initially there was a little pecking from the girls but overall they were all seemingly getting along just fine. I came home today and noticed one of my new roosters laying by itself. When I picked him up he was missing his fluff on the back of his neck to the point of raw flesh. I immediately cleaned his neck and applied some healing ointment and put him in the shed by himself. I separate the hens from the other one just in case. Is this normal behavior from hens? I’ve had aggressive roosters in the past but never hens.

:welcome

Yes, this is normal. I've had it happen before with some overly aggressive hens that I had. I would try them again when the roosters are more mature and are focused more on mounting than anything. (So 5-7 months old.) At this age, they're still able to be in the hens' pecking order, so being 'different' they're likely to be bullied. When they've matured, they're no longer in the hens' pecking order and they'll be more likely to establish domince over them by mounting.

Back
Top Bottom