Any advice for a grieving gander?

IdealisticRoo

Chicken Tender
13 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Colorado!
Something got 'Honey' last night. She was a tufted Roman, aged 4 months.

Any advice on what to do to help a grieving gander?

He won't eat or drink, he is mute, and all he does is stare and sleep.

He normally eats flock raiser, with cracked corn as a treat.

I have tried spinach leaves, bread, granola, weeds, grass and corn. He ignores all food.

I don't want to deny him his grieving, but I have been forcing sips of water every few hours by dipping his bill in cool water, especially when he pants.

70082_img_1875.jpg

I brought him to work with me today.
idunno.gif

i was told about geese grieving for their mate after they are left alone and it last years. the only thing i would do if i was you is to buy another female to help replace that loss.
sad.png

I lost my female recently, as well. Fortunately, I had 2 young goslings (2 months old) that I was able to place with him. He is doing fine now. He stills calls for his mate, but he is foraging and hanging out with the young ones.

Quote:
i highly recommend this too very good idea my geese love looking at themselves in the mirror.

Speaking from experience - I inherited a gander that lost his mate. So depressed, would not eat... etc. I went out and got another female same breed. Put them in a pen together with a baby pool and lots of cracked corn/fresh water and good feed. Baby pool is where the magic happens!!!! Had dry area for them to sleep/stand and some hay /etc. Nice diggs!

After about a coupld of days... LOVE. Can't say it will work for yours. Hopefully he didn't SEE Honey die. That is the most traumatic on geese because of their memory capacity and fear. If he saw it, he may never forget it.

Get another female ASAP!!! You're going ot need one anyway. Do the setup and give it a week or two. You'll notice something I bet. It's the only solution for him anyway. Mate isn't coming back - got to move on and you've got to move him on as quick as you can or grieving will set up and last....

Back
Top Bottom