Any advice on chickens picking each other's butts

All right. I have found a solution for feed. How does this sound: It has limestone, oyster shell, and vitamins, and stuff like that, and well I can't remember it all but it had a laundry list of ingredients. It also had seaweed, if I can remember correctly. It was from a place called Healthy Herds, Layer #2.

All right. I have found a solution for feed. How does this sound: It has limestone, oyster shell, and vitamins, and stuff like that, and well I can't remember it all but it had a laundry list of ingredients. It also had seaweed, if I can remember correctly. It was from a place called Healthy Herds, Layer #2.
If you can snap a photo of the label, we can help more.

The US gets A LOT of things wrong, and we have limits for some undesirable things set higher than many other countries, but compared to the rest of the world, our feed labels tend to be FAR more instructive than what the rest of the world has to rely on.

Is there nutritional information on the label? Including not just protein, but also amounts of lysene, methionine, fat, fiber, calcium, phosphorus, salt/sodium? I found their website and saw a photo of the feed (looks yummy!), but there's no nutritional information.

Is there nutritional information on the label? Including not just protein, but also amounts of lysene, methionine, fat, fiber, calcium, phosphorus, salt/sodium? I found their website and saw a photo of the feed (looks yummy!), but there's no nutritional information.
No, but there was oyster shell and ground limestone so that's calcium, I think there was 18 or 12 or something (I think it was 18) % of protein. I think there was salt in there too if I remember correctly. It doesn't show properly on my computer, really. Fiber is the barley, I know that's in there. I don't know what lysene or methionine is. But the person I got my chickens from when I was getting started says he gets his feed from Healthy Herds and he gets the Layer #2. And he has very healthy chickens, and gets a huge, overflowing basket of eggs a day. This is just in time because I am low on chicken feed, the mix.

All right, here.
Rolled wheat, 31.7 %
Rolled oats, 13.5%
Loose salt, .3%
Vitamin premix ADE, .5 %
Limestone, 2.5 %
Oyster shell, 3 %
Sea weed, 2.5 %
Canola oil, 2%
Camelina meal, 10 %
Rolled peas, 30 %
Hay meal, 4 %
Oh good, you found it! Now..... does anyone know what the nutrient contents of these ingredients are? Does it sound like a well-balanced, complete feed for layers?

Okay. Is the canola oil necessary? I was going to ask them to remove it and add alfalfa pellets instead, as alfalfa is a good source of protein.
I don't know. I'm just learning about nutritional and mineral requirements of chickens, myself. I can only say to this ^^^ question, that canola oil and carmelina meal both provide amino acids.
For you or anyone who wants to dig deeper, I found this pretty handy tool for looking up the nutritional and mineral content of many kinds of grains and other feed ingredients - and it's customizable to create a table that includes the kinds of ingredients you want to use:
https://www.feedtables.com/

Back
Top Bottom