Any advice on predator proofing our chicken run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CoolClucker, Aug 2, 2013.

1. CoolClucker

CoolClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    Central USA
    Hello. My husband and I are building our chicken run, and am just looking for some advice on how to make sure it's predator proof. Thought maybe some of you guys and gals could offer some? Much appreciated :)

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Hardware cloth buried at least 6 inches in the ground, on the sides 3 feet up and cover the top.You can pile rocks around the outside edge to protect from digging predators.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I installed hardware cloth on the sides up 2 feet from the ground to prevent reaching through the fence. I made an apron of 2 x 4 fencing, attached it to the bottom of the fence around the run, and laid it out from the bottom of the fence 24 inches. Over time, it has settled into the soil and plants. I used these landscape fabric staples that look like croquet hoops to hold it down in places.

Digging predators will start at the bottom of the fence. If they cannot dig under, they will relent. It is an option to bury a barrier perpendicular to the fence, but I feel that it is unnecessary and the apron will work just as well.

Go over your installation, all of it thoroughly, looking closely for any opening that you have missed or forgotten. The predators will.

Chris

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good advice on the apron from chfite above.

The walls of the run should be made from 2x4 fencing or something heavier to deter larger predators, like dogs. The roof of the run can be chicken wire to deter hawks.

Are the chickens locked in a secure coop at night?

5. loghomehenhouse

loghomehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    NH
    We have 14 gauge chicken wire that was given to us that we will be laying as an apron, but we've also discussed options with a friend of ours that farms egg hens as well, and where we live in the mountains, we have lots of predators. We will be installing an electric wire soon as we lost one of our guineas to a coon the other night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by