Any advice or guesses on gender?

abrossard

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
I have 2 BR chicks ( approximately 12 days old) and I'm nervous that they're cockerels. I am able to trade them in if they turn out to be boys but I'm already attached to these two! Thanks for you help!!

I think it's too early to sex them visually if they weren't vent sexed at birth. There are a couple of breeds that have different feathering times and colourations between genders, but there aren't very many breeds that this can be done by. So you might just have to wait it out. :(

I've heard with true bred BR's you can sex the chicks because the females have a distinct head spot (vs. a blotchy one on boys) AND the girls have a dark wash of color down their legs. You might want to type in "Sexing Barred Rocks" or "Sexing Barred Rock Chicks" into the search bar and see if there's more information.

I think it's too early to sex them visually if they weren't vent sexed at birth. There are a couple of breeds that have different feathering times and colourations between genders, but there aren't very many breeds that this can be done by. So you might just have to wait it out. :(
i'd agree:/

They're growing so fast! Here are a few updated pictures. Any guess would be great!

Chick #1

Chick #2

Thanks for any advice you're willing to offer!

These two were definitely males! Hope these pictures help someone else out who is questioning gender!!

Back
Top Bottom