Any alternatives to vaccinations for Fowl Pox.

Too late for vax. Isolate and keep feeding and wartering. Pox should run its course in about 3 weeks

Fowlpox is a slow-spreading virus often contracted, and carried by mosquitos. There is no cure, just vaccines. While the vaccines won't do anything if the birds already have contracted the pox, it can help limit spread, so if you have other birds that aren't affected. I would consider getting some. The price is fairly cheap,

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/fowl-pox-vaccine-1000-d

Besides the vaccine, I would start applying either iodine or an antibacterial ointment to their lesions a few times a day to help prevent spreading, and infection of the underlying tissue. You may also consider disinfecting their feeders, and waterers regularly. Avoid messing, and touching the lesions as they are highly contagious.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

While birds that get the virus, tend to them be immune to it in the future, I would work on limiting the number of mosquitos in your area. Reducing water breeding grounds, etc.

Good advice, also use diametaceous earth as a preventative in the coop are after you clean it and in their feed mixed in. Has to be food grade. Mix based on how many birds youre feeding shouldnt look like theres powder on it. This should help with insect control. Also make sure your birds have somewhere to give themselves a dust bath. Needs to be sandy and possibly wood ash and DE.

Thank you all
Am in Down state NY.
None of my other birds are big enough to pick on
Fluffy Butt, she is the largest & oldest hen ( 1 yr),
I have examined closely, hoping it would be dried blood, but after carefully keeping track of this for last 10 days or so,
I am seeing a bit more if it.
I clean coop/ boards @ least every 2 days, if not everyday.
Using sand in coop & Run
I use a “Quat” ( 3 M) - to disinfect roost bar when I pull it out of coop during cleaning.
A month ago, I set up 3 different dust bath areas. With De./ wood ash/ soil/ peat moss.
Also used Poultry Dust in crevices in coop & under roost mounts. As well as a little in the “ Bath” areas.
At work right now - will get photos out asap.
Thanks again.
Best
Craig

Back
Top Bottom