Any Artists in the house?

Pics

You gals are wonderful for giving me confidence to continue painting. Some of mine look like a child did them but this one came out well. Thanks ever so much. Hugs

You gals are wonderful for giving me confidence to continue painting. Some of mine look like a child did them but this one came out well. Thanks ever so much. Hugs
To me that's actually a good thing. Think about a group of kindergarten kids being asked if they could paint or draw well. Every single one of them will raise their hands, wiggling in their chairs, and yell, "Oh, me, me! I can, I can!" And they grab the crayons, the water colors, the markers or the colored pencils and enthusiastically create masterpieces.

Imagine the same group in college, same question. You'll hear nervous chuckles and , "I can't paint a barn." or "I can't draw a decent stick horse." What's the difference? After all, these are the same kids answering the same question. Inhibition. That's it, pure and simple. Over the years they've learned to mentally compare their efforts with folks who might have been a little more blessed in the talent department and they no longer see the passion, the beauty or the just-plain-fun that went into their creations. They simply see that it doesn't "measure up." So they decide they can't paint, can't draw, can't whatever. And they quit. Most go on to do other things that are just as important and take just as much skill, but somewhere between kindergarten and college they misplaced their creativity. And that's really a shame.

It's a shame because when it comes right down to it, a painting done by a child contains so many of the elements that are overlooked by most adults when asked to paint or draw. So thinking that something "looks like a child did it" is high praise indeed!

To me that's actually a good thing.  Think about a group of kindergarten kids being asked if they could paint or draw well.  Every single one of them will raise their hands, wiggling in their chairs, and yell, "Oh, me, me!  I can, I can!"  And they grab the crayons, the water colors, the markers or the colored pencils and enthusiastically create masterpieces.

Imagine the same group in college, same question. You'll hear nervous chuckles and , "I can't paint a barn." or "I can't draw a decent stick horse."  What's the difference?  After all, these are the same kids answering the same question.  Inhibition.  That's it, pure and simple.  Over the years they've learned to mentally compare their efforts with folks who might have been a little more blessed in the talent department and they no longer see the passion, the beauty or the just-plain-fun that went into their creations.  They simply see that it doesn't "measure up."  So they decide they can't paint, can't draw, can't whatever.  And they quit.  Most go on to do other things that are just as important and take just as much skill, but somewhere between kindergarten and college they misplaced their creativity.  And that's really a shame.  

It's a shame because when it comes right down to it, a painting done by a child contains so many of the elements that are overlooked by most adults when asked to paint or draw.  So thinking that something "looks like a child did it" is high praise indeed!

I agree!
Every time they'd ask me for an artist statement in college, (you know what inspired this piece, why did you paint/draw/choose this) I'd say I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time, I liked it, it was pretty, it made me happy. I didn't score well on artist statements lol. Then when I faked it they marked me down for being sarcastic or defensive or insincere lol!
The school/gallery system discourages the spontaneity and levity that made art a joy as a child. They want sobriety, depth and culture. Even comedy must have a deeper meaning to it. As though intellectualizing art will somehow give it legitimacy in the business and colledgate worlds. Ask any advertiser how many people they think they'd entice without visuals and one can see that art already has a legitimate place in business. Just let the rest of it be fun for goodness sake! It's ok to get deep with art but that doesn't make it not ok to have fun!

Back
Top Bottom