Any artists out there?

@Duckpip I made this one for you
Duckpip.gif

I will be working on the crowing rooster now!

I did this one a few days ago. The shading on the horses face was too dramatic. I made it a bit lighter but haven’t gotten a new picture.
C8BB1AA4-EF7C-4E35-BD30-CC13DBDDC6B2.jpeg

This one I did in my tiny notebook. Usually my drawings are 12” by 12”, but this one was 3” by 3”.
B9A96A64-21EA-42EE-A39C-16F0E269519F.jpeg

And then this one I did over the past 3 days. It’s of Finley, my sisters toy poodle. A family member wanted a portrait of him, so I did it. (And they’re paying me!:th)
122B967F-4AC7-4DC2-8B73-7A86E846821A.jpeg

I did this one a few days ago. The shading on the horses face was too dramatic. I made it a bit lighter but haven’t gotten a new picture.
View attachment 3232017

This one I did in my tiny notebook. Usually my drawings are 12” by 12”, but this one was 3” by 3”. View attachment 3232020
And then this one I did over the past 3 days. It’s of Finley, my sisters toy poodle. A family member wanted a portrait of him, so I did it. (And they’re paying me!:th)
View attachment 3232022
Wow they are amazing I especially love the poodle the lighting is amazing!

View attachment 3232017

This one I did in my tiny notebook. Usually my drawings are 12” by 12”, but this one was 3” by 3”. View attachment 3232020
View attachment 3232022
Well done, especially on the poodle!

I have a question for you guys…

I was thinking about doing custom pet portraits for family and friends of mine… maybe other people, I’m not sure.

Anyways, I was thinking about pricing. I was originally thinking maybe 5 or 10 dollars per drawing, but looking at Etsy and talking with people I’m thinking something like 40 dollars per artwork. Thoughts?

Also, the main reason I want to do this is so that I can donate to my local animal shelter and my church. Probably 10 dollars to the shelter and 10 dollars to my church, and the 20 for supplies and saving (for things like college, a house, etc.)
Set your pricing per square inch so it's consistent. Like for example 25 cents per square inch. So an 8x10 would be 80 square inches, times .25, or 20 bucks. Adjust your price per square inch to the point you're comfortable with to sell. like say you want to hit 40 bucks for an 8x10. Charge 50 cents per sq inch. I also recommend a minimum price as well so if you paint a small piece that the math doesn't work out for, you charge the minimum. Example of that, say you do a 5x7 piece, which is 35 square inches. at 25 cents per sq in, it'd be $8.75 for that but if you have a 10 dollar minimum, you'd charge the 10.

Make sure that you're covering time and materials in this pricing so you're not working for free, or worse, losing money.

This keeps your base pricing consistent no matter what size you make it. You can add extra for things like rush jobs, special/custom requests, extra time involved in completing a piece (like time spent in back and forth sketches with clients for example), etc...

I've tried a couple of other ways too. Initially I was pricing based on a flat hourly rate, but I found that clients didn't like hearing "well this is 3-4 hours of work so it would cost between X and Y plus shipping", So I moved on from that to a sliding scale based on my esitmation of the complexity of the piece, but I found that for me that was harder to manage and I was doing a lot of compares between older pieces to judge complexity. It was too much work and more hassle than help. I went to the per sq. inch model and it seems to work the best for me, so I stick with it.

I used to price per square inch, but I didn't like how the canvases twice the size ended up costing way more than twice the amount. Now I price paintings by adding the height and width. I created an Excel sheet that calculates, multiplies, and rounds the prices for me - all I need to do is fill in the height and width.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom