Any artists out there?

Thanks! I just don't know where to put them.... :confused:
First, figure out where the light is coming from. For example, if you look at most of my drawings, you'll notice that, judging from the shadows and highlights, the light is usually coming from somewhere around the top-right corner.
Once you've found the direction of your light source, find the contours of the face. Faces aren't flat, and some places where shadows are obvious are around the nose, under the lips, and under the jaw -- basically, wherever there's a "protrusion," if you will, there will be a shadow on the side opposite the light source. There are also often shadows around the edges of the face/head, as these parts "curve under" to connect to the neck or to follow the round shape of the skull.
I probably didn't explain that very well, but think of it light a ball with a flashlight shining on it -- part of the ball is illuminated, but the other side is in shadow due to the mass and shape of the ball blocking the light. Faces are kind of like that, only more complex (cheeks, jawlines, eyes, noses, etc.).

First, figure out where the light is coming from. For example, if you look at most of my drawings, you'll notice that, judging from the shadows and highlights, the light is usually coming from somewhere around the top-right corner.
Once you've found the direction of your light source, find the contours of the face. Faces aren't flat, and some places where shadows are obvious are around the nose, under the lips, and under the jaw -- basically, wherever there's a "protrusion," if you will, there will be a shadow on the side opposite the light source. There are also often shadows around the edges of the face/head, as these parts "curve under" to connect to the neck or to follow the round shape of the skull.
I probably didn't explain that very well, but think of it light a ball with a flashlight shining on it -- part of the ball is illuminated, but the other side is in shadow due to the mass and shape of the ball blocking the light. Faces are kind of like that, only more complex (cheeks, jawlines, eyes, noses, etc.).
All this aside, shading is definitely a pain. Useful art skill to have, as it brings more dimension to your art, and it can be an interesting way to get used to the shape of the body (or whatever you're shading), but tricky to learn.

All this aside, shading is definitely a pain. Useful art skill to have, as it brings more dimension to your art, and it can be an interesting way to get used to the shape of the body (or whatever you're shading), but tricky to learn.
Okay, thanks! :thumbsup !....

On another note, it's Friday here, so I guess here's my piece for Fiancee Friday:
(Hides under chair in embarrassment)(yes, I know that the shading is wonky)(and so is that one arm...).
file 50.png

She is still nameless, I haven’t come up with anything appropriate.
Ever since I read/watched a devotional Walking with God in the Desert, I have been slightly obsessed with Sahara culture and landscape. That’s how my first role play came about actually.
Ever since @little Brownie showed me that D&D video, I thought: if I did D&D, what would my character be like? Obviously a halfling, I’m obsessed with them.
So my shepherdess halfling bard is losely based off Bedouin shepherdesses. She has the complexion and hair (but I didn’t shade because whenever I do that it turns out poorly.) She plays the flute, which she learned from an elder in her nomadic tribe. Passing on stories and music is something she does, but her actual job is simply to care for sheep. Alone in the desert. She has a sling (useful because her marksmanship is acute though she is very small. Think David and Goliath.) She also has a shepherd’s staff, sheepskin bag o’ supplies, and small knife. She also is a scrappy survivalist.
She never stayed far from her tribe. As she was returning to them, they simply weren’t there. Thus, she embarks on an adventure.View attachment 2787397i sure should color her
Ever since I read/watched a devotional Walking with God in the Desert, I have been slightly obsessed with Sahara culture and landscape. That’s how my first role play came about actually.
Ever since @little Brownie showed me that D&D video, I thought: if I did D&D, what would my character be like? Obviously a halfling, I’m obsessed with them.
So my shepherdess halfling bard is losely based off Bedouin shepherdesses. She has the complexion and hair (but I didn’t shade because whenever I do that it turns out poorly.) She plays the flute, which she learned from an elder in her nomadic tribe. Passing on stories and music is something she does, but her actual job is simply to care for sheep. Alone in the desert. She has a sling (useful because her marksmanship is acute though she is very small. Think David and Goliath.) She also has a shepherd’s staff, sheepskin bag o’ supplies, and small knife. She also is a scrappy survivalist.
She never stayed far from her tribe. As she was returning to them, they simply weren’t there. Thus, she embarks on an adventure.View attachment 2787397i sure should color her
I really love her entire appearance and background! I’d love to see more art of her.

Thanks!

Aww! What a nice thing to do! I’d love to! I have a new OC I’m interested in sharing, and if you don’t ever get to draw it, well, at least people will get to see her.
Heh, don't think of it as anything but selfish. I am eternally grateful that I have something new to draw. Also, thank you for giving me a chance to completely tune out for like... The entire night. :3 Haven't done that in a long long while.

My version of your girl. I'm sure I mangled your dress design, I couldn't really see what it was in parts so I improvised.

Bedouin girl Amer.jpg

Ooooooo age? I suspect her clothes won't live up to what's in your head. What are the colors?
28 but that’s basically 16 in hobbit years since their “coming of age” is 33.
I love how you based her off of people and things in the bible!
Ikr! So much fun!

Well, along with D&D, which I don't really know anything about.:oops:
Me neither tbh, but it’s tabletop role playing.
I tend to get stage fright if it looks like they are looking at me....
Me too! Symmetry is my old enemy.
On another note, it's Friday here, so I guess here's my piece for Fiancee Friday:
(Hides under chair in embarrassment)(yes, I know that the shading is wonky)(and so is that one arm...).
View attachment 2787429
Okay first of all HOW DID YOU GET SO GOOD I love how you shade hair and also if you hadn’t pointed that out, no one would have noticed because of their sheet amazement and I’m still struggling to see what’s defective about it.
I really love her entire appearance and background! I’d love to see more art of her.
Aww! Thanks! I’m happy to! I haven’t drawn much lately.
Heh, don't think of it as anything but selfish. I am eternally grateful that I have something new to draw. Also, thank you for giving me a chance to completely tune out for like... The entire night. :3 Haven't done that in a long long while.

My version of your girl. I'm sure I mangled your dress design, I couldn't really see what it was in parts so I improvised.

View attachment 2787490
I really love it! It’s perfect! Despite how I kinda sped through the dress design, you actually got it right! That’s exactly how I imagined her. Obviously you didn’t get the imagined dress colors but she probably has more than one. The nose is just right!
Also the sheepies I love the touch, and you never told me you were so great at sheep!

Back
Top Bottom