Any Australorp experts or lovers there...!

If you are wanting to get closer to standard, you are going to have to do a lot of culling, and it takes a long time. I think I'd start by looking at them closely, and all other things being equal, pick the ones with the most green. Then look at body type. Pick the ones with the best overall body type. IF you have a pair that falls into both categories, pick those two to breed. If not, pick the best pair of each group. In other words, if the rooster has the best body type, but lacking green, then pair him with the hen or two, that has the most green, etc. It works the other way around too. If the rooster has the best green, then pair him with the hen with the best body type. Pay attention to temperament. Never breed a mean rooster, unless you have no choice, since you're just getting your line started.

When you get chicks, they have to grow awhile, before you will be able to decide who to keep, and who to cull. Plan on about 150 chicks, and pick the few best from those. It would be nice to get at least 4 females, and 2 males that show improvement.

Put the parents over their offspring. Matching, OR offsetting traits, as discussed earlier. I wouldn't breed brother/sister. It's important to keep track of who's who. With the resulting chicks from those pairings, breed them back to their parents. This is line breeding. Do this again, and by this generation, you should start seeing a little overall improvement.

There was a Australorp thread but i thinks that thread is no more alive....!
I had some Australorps but i, am very confused of their perfection... I have seen pictures of perfect australorp in the australorp thread. But nowadays, the australorp that are very popular had long tails but the old Autralorp had not tails like the ones today.I want to now about the perfection of BA. Is there any breeders who can guide me about australorps. I am attaching pictures of some of the BA's that are common nowadays and some pics of the old Autralorps.
View attachment 2644782
These are some from Austalorp thread. These birds belong to groche.
View attachment 2644785 View attachment 2644782
View attachment 2644791
And this one is the example of australorps nowadays....
Now what is the perfection of heritage Australorp....?
I have a pretty BLUE austlrop name Lilac and a lovley BLACK austlrop name Night.

Back
Top Bottom