The trees in the front are live oaks. We love them so much we planted a whole bunch more around the place!
So its only a normal oak tree? Wow.

Do you have to do something to make them spread their branches out like that to create big shade area?

Good
IMG_2020-09-02_16-45-56.jpeg

Good
IMG_2020-09-02_16-46-15.jpeg

Moderate, would be better if multiple bushes in a cluster
IMG_2020-09-02_16-46-30.jpeg

Good
IMG_2020-09-02_16-46-43.jpeg

Terrible, but forage decent
IMG_2020-09-02_16-46-52.jpeg

Fair
IMG_2020-09-02_16-47-32.jpeg

Poor
IMG_2020-09-02_16-47-50.jpeg

Excellent
IMG_2020-09-02_16-48-41.jpeg

Agree. And good to help hide from raptors will be great protection and cover for land predators like foxes. @centrarchid has trained, and in training, guard dogs, who do well against many fox attacks.
Dogs are the most expensive and longest to organize flock protective devices, and still need good perimeter fencing, so only really useful in the right situations.
Mary

Last edited:
I see no response. Cover that is effective is not always pleasing to the eye. Trees with open under-story obscure view of soaring predators, but most I deal with will be perched in the canopy or come in a low angle from just above ground level. If the hawk can fly through, then cover will not obstruct pursuit by air or foot. Hawks are size selective and will chase small chickens into heavy bush. I shut that down with adult standard-sized roosters that will readily attack such hawks in the ground. The type of hawk I have that goes after chickens while on the ground is the Coopers Hawk. Even my game hens can run those off.

If hawk thinks a dog is nearby, then odds it will go on ground is less likely.

I see no response. Cover that is effective is not always pleasing to the eye. Trees with open under-story obscure view of soaring predators, but most I deal with will be perched in the canopy or come in a low angle from just above ground level. If the hawk can fly through, then cover will not obstruct pursuit by air or foot. Hawks are size selective and will chase small chickens into heavy bush. I shut that down with adult standard-sized roosters that will readily attack such hawks in the ground. The type of hawk I have that goes after chickens while on the ground is the Coopers Hawk. Even my game hens can run those off.

If hawk thinks a dog is nearby, then odds it will go on ground is less likely.
Apologies for the late response, been away from my device. Yeah, looks like excellent cover. However, if I were to try to do anything like that, the primary concern would be the cost, and attempting to make it look good. If I were to have my way, the chickens would have a section of the yard with all kinds of landscaping. However, I would have to run such ideas by my family.
For now, I'll put making an enclosed run on the top of my priority list. We are looking for a dog, but that takes time and cost money. In the meantime, I'll just keep my flock in the coop, and let them out for a few hours in the evening when I can watch them. Going to study up on hawk migrations so I can better predict what times of the year I should be preparing for the incoming raptors.
As of now, it seems like I need to buddy up with the local crows, and I need to have a stern talk with my roo about his role in protecting the flock!

Phantom K9 is on to something. Trained crows!

After a red-tailed attacked and killed our drake, a bunch of barn swallows began harassing him until he left the area. I've known red-wing blackbirds to do that, but not swallows. Especially not at nesting time.

Back
Top Bottom