Any beekeepers out there?

mrsgibber

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Bolton, CT
My husband and I are looking to expand our mini-farm with Bees. Does anyone have some good advice, pros/cons to raising bees for honey, etc.?

Buuuumppp.
smile.png

I researched bee keeping last winter because I'm interested as well, but wasn't willing to buy all the equipment and bees before I could speak to someone who actually is keeping bees - so I'd be interested what anyone else would have to say as well as you, mrsgibber.
big_smile.png

YES beekeepers unite.

I would recommend you get a couple of the BEE KEEPER books, go to HALF.com, and buy there.. pennies on the dollar.

the periodicals are great AMerican beekeeper. and Apiaries are good sources,

contact a local bee keeper, ask if they ahve any book recommendations, Chances are they have a mountain of magazines they would GIVE to you.

Just tell them that your not going in to competition just wanna get a hive or two started for your home consumption and 4h or something for the kids learning.

Contact the local pest control folks, often they ahve a number of a BEE COLLECTOR, who collects swarms, (instead of killin them).

Start finding equipment on line someone sellign stuff for cheep....

research then acquire and have FUN.

Google... Bee keeping

Take care and have a great time..

We kept bees in Utah for a few years and now have started up again in New Jersey. I would suggest contacting your state's beekeeping association (every state has one) and they can give you a mentor near your location. Beekeeping is best learned from an old timer. Sure you can do it all yourself but that's the hard way.

I would also be very hesitant about buying used hive boxes and frames. You don't know if there are mites or beetles or viruses or rot or any of the other things you don't want to deal with. Plan on about $300 to get started with new (give or take). That won't cover your extractor which you may be able to borrow if the association has one that they share.

I'd say bees have a steeper learning curve than chickens but we really have enjoyed them.

Good luck,

Alan.

This is all great information! I'll pass along to my husband as he'll be deemed head beekeeper.
smile.png

I think we'll spend this summer researching & studying and then make a go of it next spring.

It took us nine months of studying/prepping before we brought our chickens home...we like to be prepared. LOL

Another grreat site to learn all about bees are the Beemaster forums and learning center.

Find a local beekeeping association and join (it's inexpensive), here's a listing so you can look one up. That way you have access to a mentor, probably group buys on bees, equipment, etc. These clubs are a wealth of knowledge.

There are lots of good beekeeping books out there, believe it or not, the Beekeeping for Dummies book is very good, might be a good place to start your research.

I have equipment lists for anyone who is interested in how much it costs and what's needed to get started, pm me and I'll e-mail them to you.

You might want to look into city laws too.. You can keep 10 chickens in our town of 6,000 people.. Even can keep a roo if you dont get to many complaints. There is at least 3 roos that I know of that live in city limits.. I do believe I read some where that bee hives are not allowed in city limits.. You might want to check it out.. Or keep one of the hidden bee hives that I have seen. I went to a restaurant in a town an hour away.. They had a behive behind glass that you could watch.. Unknown if the place still has it or not.

I went to a restaurant in a town an hour away.. They had a behive behind glass that you could watch.. Unknown if the place still has it or not.

That would be so cool!​

Back
Top Bottom