Any body order geese from Hollderreed?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by tebs78, Jan 29, 2009.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    They offer fancy gosling and exhibition gosling assortments......I'm wondering what kind of breeds are in there? They don't say you could expect this breed.

I don't want chinese, ebden or pilgrim...not the kinds I expect for that kind of money ya know?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I havent, but this is what it says
    Fancy Gosling Assortment
    A fascinating collection that may include any of the breeds we raise--including some of the extremely rare ones.

So basically, you could get anything they raise.​

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Holderread's isn't your run of the mill waterfowl hatchery like the hatcheries that sell chicks.

Dave Holderread has a remarkable reputation for producing show quailty stock.

Yes, they have embdens, africans and brown chinese but these are not your typical barnyard birds.

I got appleyard ducks from the last year. Really lovely birds.

You would not be disappointed in the quailty of the waterfowl from their farm.

4. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    I am not trying to say they don't have exceptional birds, because I know thier reputation is great. I was just wondering if they narrowed down a few breeds that they thought were "fancy" or what not...Does that make sense?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yeah. I would just send them an email. I was considering getting a pair of the dewlap toulouse, but I dont have any more room. [​IMG] Maybe next year.

My idea of "fancy" would be the dewlap african, dewlap toulouse, and the sebastool.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  6. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    ahhhh and I just found thier assortment page...I was just looking at the price page. Just curious if any one has ordered these assortments and what they got...

7. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I have ordered several times from Holderread's. To fill out my order I have gotten the bargain goslings - received Giant Dewlap African, & Lavendar Ice. When I ordered the fancy assortment, I got Shetlands and Pilgrims. I ordered Pilgrims and Shetlands so was thrilled to get extra of the same breed.

When I ordered Exhibitition last year I received a very nice pair of Poms.
    Most of my geese are from Holderread's and they are all very nice. Millie Holderread has been very nice to deal with.

I have some Giant Dewlap Africans from Metzler and comparing them to the one Giant from Holderread's shows an amazing difference. I will see if I can take some pictures this weekend.

I know they are more expensive but in my opinion worth the extra money.

8. tebs78

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks, thats good to see some examples...lol I would love a giant dewlap

9. giffy

giffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Quote:Corancher...........I would be interested to hear how you like the Shetlands?

giffy
    ----------------
    GiffsFarm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by