Any bone collectors or taxidermists out there?

Woah! You have those beetles?! That’s neat! I would love to get some, but I don’t think I have any where to put them. Those rabbits are pretty cool. My cousin has a rabbit skull or two, too

They're easy to take care of and fit in a 5, 10 or 20 gallon aquarium depending on how big the colony is. Mine is in a 10 gallon.

They were a birthday present from my partner. :)

Have a look at crow's nest treasure on Facebook. Shes in the UK, amazing taxidermy artist imho. She has videos of preparing the corpses etc, I'm in love with a duckling shes just finished 😍

Do the bones still have marrow? Or how do you remove that?

😡 😠 My husband doesn’t want me collecting bones because he says it’s unsanitary and that I’m not a witch doctor (🤣)

I’ll still keep poking the question til he says yes 😂

Do the bones still have marrow? Or how do you remove that?

😡 😠 My husband doesn’t want me collecting bones because he says it’s unsanitary and that I’m not a witch doctor (🤣)

I’ll still keep poking the question til he says yes 😂

I think the marrow is on the inside of most bones, so it doesn’t really come out or if it does, I haven’t noticed. I typically try to remove the tendons during the soaking process, but most of the time pliers and letting them dry out some helps a bit. Hope that somewhat answered your question

I think the marrow is on the inside of most bones, so it doesn’t really come out or if it does, I haven’t noticed. I typically try to remove the tendons during the soaking process, but most of the time pliers and letting them dry out some helps a bit. Hope that somewhat answered your question
Bones are perfectly sanitary, they get sanitized when you clean them by soaking them briefly in peroxide. This also helps whiten the bones. The marrow stays inside and slowly dries out over years.

Thank you both! I figured they were sanitary or people wouldn't collect them. Guess my hubby just doesn't like the unknown. I'll definitely start researching on how to clean bones. I'll have to start with chicken bones.

I'll do my own research so I don't bother you guys too much with my questions, but how do you remove the meat? Especially from the skulls?

Hopefully more people share their bone collection. I find it fascinating.

ah, yes! i collect taxidermy and bones.
if you want to get started with taxidermy, i’d recommend a small animal first like a chick or a duckling. my first fully-grown mount was a mallard duck i got from an estate sale.
B3731419-BE8A-47C8-A76D-8573E3545BE4.jpeg

this isn’t my entire collection, but i do have a cupboard where i keep small things
349E813C-D1E8-43A8-86A6-8730069C305B.jpeg
A807B44F-6CC1-4A22-94D2-B09EDBE9C718.jpeg
as for bones, i do have some but unfortunately no pictures on hand. among them are a beaver skull, and some deer(?) bones i found in the desert.

Thank you both! I figured they were sanitary or people wouldn't collect them. Guess my hubby just doesn't like the unknown. I'll definitely start researching on how to clean bones. I'll have to start with chicken bones.

I'll do my own research so I don't bother you guys too much with my questions, but how do you remove the meat? Especially from the skulls?

Hopefully more people share their bone collection. I find it fascinating.

I use knives and angled tweezers to pull off most of it.

I have to say - I have butchered more animals than I can count. I have cared for animals for years. I have washed vomit and blood and poop out of my hair. It takes a LOT of constitution to cut the flesh away. Removing the skin and eyes and tongue is like something from a horror film. It gives even me the gibblies. I try not to look too close while I'm doing those parts. My partner actually does it for me most times because he did it for years in a lab doing research on rat eyes and it disturbingly efficient at removing skin and eyes as a result.

Once anything big enough to wiggle is cut away, brains pulled out, etc. I let the beetles do the rest. They eat anything that's left and leave the bones extremely clean and in tact. Even very delicate bones can survive it.

chicken.png

Back
Top Bottom