Any California gardeners?

Squash crosses are so fun to grow!
I started squash seed this year from Burpee, supposed to be their pic-N-pic hybrid. One of the plants from their seed is clearly a Zephyr squash hybrid, and I was thrilled at their cross pollination problem.

Attachments

• 20200526_154706.jpg
    20200526_154706.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 1
I have a spaghetti x Marrow X Cocozelle zucchini This year, I LOVE SQUASH. I actually just crossed a Big max with a Jarradhale today, exited to see what I get. I also saved seed from my sweet dumplings, but all of them are making little romanesco zukes.

I have a spaghetti x Marrow X Cocozelle zucchini This year, I LOVE SQUASH. I actually just crossed a Big max with a Jarradhale today, exited to see what I get. I also saved seed from my sweet dumplings, but all of them are making little romanesco zukes.
How often do you get crosses that aren't productive or edible? Honestly, I only saved my own squash seed one year, and that was almost a decade ago. May try again this year, they generally at least cross within the same species so I don't see a huge problem with hybridization. I can hand pollinate and bag too, I know the drill for seed saving.

That’s a shame. We had 4 Families stay at our house during the Carr fire. 1 of them Lost their home as well as several other freinds. I hear everyone talk about how hard life with COVID19 but the Carr fire was harder.

That’s a shame. We had 4 Families stay at our house during the Carr fire. 1 of them Lost their home as well as several other freinds. I hear everyone talk about how hard life with COVID19 but the Carr fire was harder.
It was certainly life changing. But hey, I have a whole new (to me) home and a whole new life now!

Back
Top Bottom