Any California gardeners?

Good morning! The rain has paused, and the garden is beautiful today. Pumpkins taking over everything, will have to do a second planting so my kids can have some season appropriate (Halloween) pumpkins instead of early summer pumpkins.
The sunflowers are getting bigger. Have not yet looked over on the far edge of garden to check butternut squash, beans and watermelons yet.

Attachments

• 20200531_080258.jpg
    20200531_080258.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200531_080320.jpg
    20200531_080320.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 3
Good morning! The rain has paused, and the garden is beautiful today. Pumpkins taking over everything, will have to do a second planting so my kids can have some season appropriate (Halloween) pumpkins instead of early summer pumpkins.
The sunflowers are getting bigger. Have not yet looked over on the far edge of garden to check butternut squash, beans and watermelons yet.
I accidentally found that I get many more pumpkins by pruning the vines so they stay where I want them instead of letting them spread like they want to.

I accidentally found that I get many more pumpkins by pruning the vines so they stay where I want them instead of letting them spread like they want to.
Thank you @R2elk !!!
I was just wondering about that a minute ago, stupid pumpkins are gonna take over the entire property if I don't do something about them. They're already about 10x bigger than last year's pumpkins ever got, and are setting fruit already. I'll go ahead and whack them back, thanks again.

More squash and some strawberries this AM. Kids have been eating the strawberries though, there were more when I brought them inside. And, I picked my first boysenberry this morning! It didn't make it out of the garden though...

Attachments

• 20200531_083905.jpg
    20200531_083905.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 1
I tried pruning my squash one year and found it only works for C. Moschatas and C. Pesos cause they only produce male flowers on the vines and females on the main stock. Maximas and Mixtas produce female flowers on the vine and it doesn’t work nearly as well.

Back
Top Bottom