Any Carpenters on here? Need help with Framing Question....

Not a carpenter, but I've paid attention as my husband has built our house and all our other buildings on the property. I am currently building our new coop with his help.

We used 4X6 for the header. I shot the nails into the side of the header, through the 2X4 on the outside. Then toenailed the supporting 2X4's into the header. (16d nails)

Our windows are smaller, but the same principle applies.
IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You! Very nice-looking job on your under-contruction coop!

I think I have the Window Header and Framing part down. My (hopefully) final question was how to install a SILL for my windows (and what deminsion boards I should use).

Thanks for replying - and for the pictures!

The People on the BYC MB are very friendly and helpful - Thanks All !!!

what is wall thickness? insulated? you could use 2 wooden I beam glue n screw/nail with foam in the cavity for the header

If you have ready-made windows, you will not need to construct a sill. The proper slope and external drip edge is already built into the window. Just make your rough opening slightly bigger than the window and nail it to your coop via the nailing flange (plastic flange with holes in it). Somewhere on the window it should give the rough opening dimensions (usually on a sticker around the edge). The reason you make the opening slightly larger is so you can adjust for plumb if need be.
Good luck.

Thanks! Unfortunately,

I don't have the "new construction" windows, but fortunately, I was able to buy 4 nice Big, Double-Pane, Vinal slider windows for $20 a piece :) My step daughter does rehabs and construction work in New Orleans - she sent mucho detailed instructions with diagrams and suggestions
love.gif

Thanks again for everybody's input - I really appreciate it!
thumbsup.gif

It does not matter if these are new construction windows. If they were manufactured with a frame. the sill should be in place. If you stand the window upright as it would be in the opening, is the bottom sill slanted toward the ground? If so, the slope is already built in.

David

Sledrock, I think that you ought to start building human houses, 'cause you are more concerned with proper building techniques than many home builder out there today!
tongue.png

Like the others said the sills should be built in. If you look at most windows you will see the window frame overlapping the siding. If you can find the manufacturers name the website may have the instructions to install it properly. Usually you nail it up on the outside on the plywood and there is a groove all the way around for siding if I remember correctly but it's been awhile since I installed a window. Most of my building experience in the last several years is a doghouse a shed and a coop in progress (formerly a doghouse but being retrofitted)

The windows do have a weep-hole on either side. Don't know about the "leaning toward the outside"... It's 11:30pm and they're out in a shed with no lighting - but I will check that tomorrow. I guess I haven't paid much attention to the outside of windows lately.... I just couldn't picture how a window could be mounted without a regular (separate from window) sill underneath. Maybe you're right, TJWeaver - maybe they have a groove underneath for siding - never heard of that, but I will certainly check that in the morning. Would make things go a lot faster if I didn't have make 4 sills and 10 degrees wedges for them....

On another note: The "Materials Gods" must be smiling on me lately. First the windows, and now I found a guy who has been tearing down an older 2-story house the past month. He said I could scrounge through the piles of lumber and take anything I can use. 2x4s, 2x6s 1x4s and 1x6s. In the morning a buddy and I are taking the truck and trailer and load-up on anything in good shape. He said he was going to take whatever is left to the landfill and doesn't want to pay them a ton of money. He said he'd be tearing out the floor soon and asked if I needed any flooring or floor joists!

Good-God-Amighty!!! The star and planets must be lined up in my favor!!!
bow.gif

What's next? Someone calling and asking if I could use a couple hundred pounds of chick starter/grower and a half-ton of pine shavings
celebrate.gif

Thanks everyone! If you were here, I'd share the materials bounty with you....

Well not so much a groove but windows usually stick out far enough that when the building is sided the window frame isn't recessed. I was thinking of the groove in the vinyl siding trim that the ends of the vinyl siding go into. The windows usually just sick out an inch or so. Like I mentioned before if the window has the manufacturers name anywhere their website may have the instructions for installing it. Such as how big you should frame the window opening.

I wish I could have as good of luck trying to find non-new materials. All I have found recently is some 2x8s and scrap plywood. Though when the scrap plywood puzzle was pieced together I had enough for an 8x8 floor. I had more to say but can't think of it so I will get back to you when I remember time to get back to work

Back
Top Bottom