1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Any carpet cleaning experts out there?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Jamsoundsgood, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jamsoundsgood

Jamsoundsgood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Because I have a whole bunch of make-up all over my carpet and haven't a clue how to get it out. There's blush, mineral eye shadow, and a whole ton of water-proof mascara. Why do people put carpet in bathrooms anyway? [​IMG]

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:My answer is: rip it out! Carpet has no place in a bathroom! It hangs onto mold and mildew and germs! Anything else is better. Tile (check with a tile setter though, need a decent foundation or a very thick float of mortar depending on size of bathroom), vinyl, cork, linoleum... Just get that carpet out of the bathroom! [​IMG]
    I did have good luck getting makeup off the carpet of the car by using a spray Oxy-clean carpet and upholstery cleaner once though. It wasn't cheap but it worked real well.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    Eww, carpet in a bathroom! Do a search for the homemade laundry detergent. I made the dry one and it is the best thing ever on carpet stains. My cat puked and it stained the spot red. The detergent got it out in like 30 seconds

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:First I would try clue soda on the mineral makeup and blush. After that, google one of those cleaning experts.

5. Jamsoundsgood

Jamsoundsgood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I've been trying to get my husband to rip it out since we moved in four years ago. He keeps saying he will - someday! Someone actually put this in over linoleum too. Why in the world would someone prefer this? Most of it seems to have come up just with vacuuming really really well. That mascara though will never come up I think. Maybe I don't want it too. Maybe I should let my daughter get ahold of more stainable things so my dh "has" to replace it. [​IMG] Not that I would ever do that on purpose.

6. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    A little bit of either mineral spirits or laquer thinner on a rag will get it out.

7. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If my husband never "gets around" to doing something, I end up doing it myself [​IMG]

We had carpet in our bathroom here when we moved in, it was gone in a few days and we put in laminate

8. Melissakins

Melissakins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    South Alabama
    I used 20 Mule Team Borax on deep red nail polish on a cream colored carpet once and it worked GREAT.

Water as hot as you can stand it, a couple of wash clothes, a cup of borax. Soak your wash clothes in the borax water, squeeze some of the water out and lay the wash cloth on top of the stain, leave for a minute or two, pat with a dry wash cloth til the stain comes out.

I did that in a rental. WOOPS. It did come out though!

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I ripped out the carpet in the master bathroom. I needed my sister to help me lift the toilet out, other than that, it was pretty easy. I put a sheet of linoleum down instead of tiles - it was easy and cheap and now it stays much cleaner.

As for cleaning the carpet...if you just need to do a spot clean. I fill a gallon jug with hot water and add a bit of soap to it -- laundry detergent or dish detergent are pretty safe. Then I grab my small 2 Gallon Shop-vac. I dump some of the water on, suck it up with the shop-vac, sorta scrubbing at it with the shop-vac nozzle, repeat as often as neccessary.

One of my kids managed to empty an entire container of blue food dye into a brand new carpet and I just kept working at it with water and the shop vac until it was all gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by