Any chance of saving this chick???

CrzyChknLady81

Songster
Mar 29, 2015
This chick had a wet looking pip last night..I thought my humidity was too high but have had several others hatch just fine and once it hatched I realized there was more going on..
I'm pretty sure that in the pic is intestine..the fluid under the egg on the right is what came out of the egg during hatch..the egg on the right is the one it came out of and the egg on the left has been beside the egg in question since the day they were set, and that chick is hatching just fine..
I haven't opened the hatcher bc I have several others pipped and zipped.

CrzyChknLady81

Songster
Mar 29, 2015
Should I block off that area so no other chicks umbilical area is exposed to that? I can only guess that it's an infection of some sort??

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
It looks like he ruptured his yolk sac and prolapsed his cord trying to get out. I don't think the prognosis is good for this one, but I'd get other opinions first.

Yorkshire Coop

Everything is possible.....
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Over the hill! UK
My Coop
My Coop
I too agree, looks like intestines and a ruptured yolk rather than infection. For me if this was my chick I would cull. This would be one of the times I would open and remove the chick.

Sorry about your chick :hugs

Last edited:

CrzyChknLady81

Songster
Mar 29, 2015
I did think ruptured yolk at first but it didn't look the right color. .but what I'm thinking now is it ruptured inside sometime in the last 24 hours before the chick pipped and thst it mixed with who knows what else before leaking out..
As bad as I hate culling, you are right, I have to do it. I just went and check on it and it's only getting worse..looks like a bigger portion is out now.
So should I not worry about the others hatching coming in contact with that area? I guess I can grab the shelf liner out real quick and lay new down..

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
It is likely yolk mixed with blood. I wouldn't worry too much about the others coming into contact with it.

CrzyChknLady81

Songster
Mar 29, 2015
Thank you guys so much ♡♡ I cringe and my heart breaks a lil every time I have an issue during hatch..knock on wood, I've had good luck this year with hatches, only had one so far with a leg issue that wouldn't correct (I tried for almost 2 weeks) and I will stay up around the clock if there is a chance of saving one..whether it's a backyard layer chick or a Tolbunt polish..but I think culling would be much kinder to this little one..I can't imagine the agony if one of the other hatchlings decided to peck at its insides while it was laying there..
Thank you guys again..I needed the validation and it means more than either of you know ♡♡

Last edited:

Yorkshire Coop

Everything is possible.....
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Over the hill! UK
My Coop
My Coop
You are most welcome :hugs as you say another chick pecking at those insides would not be pleasant for it all. I know just how you feel culling can be hard but it is for the best interest of the chick.

It is the right thing to do :hugs

CrzyChknLady81

Songster
Mar 29, 2015
Thank you :hugs

The deed is done. I used to be the one that ran to the bf when culling had to be done. (I pay someone to process for me, they get free chickens and some beer when its over)..but after nursing the last little one with leg issues, i decided then and there that if I was the one bringing them into the world, and there were issues, then it was MY responsibility to do the deed..I mean, what would I do if he weren't around and it couldn't wait. Its never easy, and I hope it never gets easier..it should be hard, after all I'm ending a life.
I love seeing happy healthy fuzzy butts running around the brooder and I guess the hard stuff is just part of it.. his little body will be buried in the compost pile, and he will eventually help provide a place for grubs and worms for future babies to play and dig in.

Top Bottom