Any clue what kind of cross I'm thinking maybe Dominique and ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JFoos, Feb 2, 2017.

1. JFoos

JFoos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

I see EE, maybe brahma. He's probably just a muffless EE. Those are total mutts. He's one beautiful roo! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could be a second or third generation mix involving Easter Egger and Barred Rock. I've got one that is pretty similar, but with a gold base color instead of silver like this guy.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking Easter Egger, possibly with Brahma in him, as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 2 does he really have beautiful teal feathers in his tail- beautiful.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I look at him and my mind says Brahma, even though the body shape isn't quite right. He's obviously a mix, and likely a multigenerational one at that, a mix of mixes. Does he have any residual feathering on the legs?

I don't like a lot of mixed barred males, I find their patters too messy to be attractive. But this boy has quite nice barring for a mix, and the solid feathers in the tail and wings really set off the other colors nicely. He looks like I could have fun breeding him to different hens, seeing what crops up genetically in the offspring [​IMG]

so, basically, I think a mix of Brahma and probably barred Rock. The body shape is too heavy for Dominique, and the rose comb of the Dom would compete with the pea comb, giving you a cushion or a mix. His nice pea comb says his ancestors where either pea or straight combed.

1 person likes this.
  7. JFoos

JFoos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thank you. I was just curious. He has no residual of any feathering on his legs. He seems to be fairly young, his spurs are little nubs and he crows just before sun up and that's about it. I think he's a pretty good looking bird. And the best part is that he just showed up on his own. I let him and 10 hens have my back yard every day. He's been here for about a month or so. I figured if he belonged to one of my neighbors they would have seen him back there and asked for him, but nothing.

8. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away...

Oh so he just showed up!? That's awesome!

9. LynnPG

LynnPG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2016
    Upper Mount Bethel, PA
    Should follow them back home and see where they live. They could be roasting in near by trees. Build an outdoor egg box. You should get some eggs from the hens. Throw them your table scraps.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If he showed up in my backyard, I'd sure keep him! What a nice find.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by