Any clue what kind of cross I'm thinking maybe Dominique and ???

JFoos

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2016
Oklahoma

I see EE, maybe brahma. He's probably just a muffless EE. Those are total mutts. He's one beautiful roo!
love.gif

I look at him and my mind says Brahma, even though the body shape isn't quite right. He's obviously a mix, and likely a multigenerational one at that, a mix of mixes. Does he have any residual feathering on the legs?

I don't like a lot of mixed barred males, I find their patters too messy to be attractive. But this boy has quite nice barring for a mix, and the solid feathers in the tail and wings really set off the other colors nicely. He looks like I could have fun breeding him to different hens, seeing what crops up genetically in the offspring
smile.png

so, basically, I think a mix of Brahma and probably barred Rock. The body shape is too heavy for Dominique, and the rose comb of the Dom would compete with the pea comb, giving you a cushion or a mix. His nice pea comb says his ancestors where either pea or straight combed.

Thank you. I was just curious. He has no residual of any feathering on his legs. He seems to be fairly young, his spurs are little nubs and he crows just before sun up and that's about it. I think he's a pretty good looking bird. And the best part is that he just showed up on his own. I let him and 10 hens have my back yard every day. He's been here for about a month or so. I figured if he belonged to one of my neighbors they would have seen him back there and asked for him, but nothing.

Thank you. I was just curious. He has no residual of any feathering on his legs. He seems to be fairly young, his spurs are little nubs and he crows just before sun up and that's about it. I think he's a pretty good looking bird. And the best part is that he just showed up on his own. I let him and 10 hens have my back yard every day. He's been here for about a month or so. I figured if he belonged to one of my neighbors they would have seen him back there and asked for him, but nothing.
Oh so he just showed up!? That's awesome!

Should follow them back home and see where they live. They could be roasting in near by trees. Build an outdoor egg box. You should get some eggs from the hens. Throw them your table scraps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom