What breed is this?

She's not a barred rock, her barring is too indistinct/blurry for that. Technically this pattern is called cuckoo, it's the result of the barring gene on fast feathering birds.

Looking at Hoover's website she could still be a saphire olive egger. They don't give good descriptions of what their hybrids are supposed to be, all it says about the saphire olive egger is that they are blue and implies they'll have a crest. But they never actually say what breeds are used or whether they are an F1 hybrid.

Since they're supposed to have a crest and a blue egg gene I am assuming they have used legbars somewhere in the mix. Not all legbars have crests, and those that do may be heterozygous for crests (meaning that they have one gene for crest and one non-crested gene which gives their chicks a 50/50 chance of being non-crested when bred to a non-crested bird).

Given the name they've gone with there's a good chance they're probably using saphire gems in the mix (although it seems just as likely they could be using any other blue breed I suppose). There's not a whole lot of information on saphire gems out there, but most of it seems to point to them being blue sex links. Which would mean saphire gem roosters are barred. That could be where both the barring and the blue are coming from.

Looking at the website my bet would be their saphire olive Eggers are probably a cross between their legbar/wellsummer olive egger line and their saphire gems. That cross could create a crestless blue barred hen easily enough.

She's not a barred rock, her barring is too indistinct/blurry for that. Technically this pattern is called cuckoo, it's the result of the barring gene on fast feathering birds.

Looking at Hoover's website she could still be a saphire olive egger. They don't give good descriptions of what their hybrids are supposed to be, all it says about the saphire olive egger is that they are blue and implies they'll have a crest. But they never actually say what breeds are used or whether they are an F1 hybrid.

Since they're supposed to have a crest and a blue egg gene I am assuming they have used legbars somewhere in the mix. Not all legbars have crests, and those that do may be heterozygous for crests (meaning that they have one gene for crest and one non-crested gene which gives their chicks a 50/50 chance of being non-crested when bred to a non-crested bird).

Given the name they've gone with there's a good chance they're probably using saphire gems in the mix (although it seems just as likely they could be using any other blue breed I suppose). There's not a whole lot of information on saphire gems out there, but most of it seems to point to them being blue sex links. Which would mean saphire gem roosters are barred. That could be where both the barring and the blue are coming from.

Looking at the website my bet would be their saphire olive Eggers are probably a cross between their legbar/wellsummer olive egger line and their saphire gems. That cross could create a crestless blue barred hen easily enough.
That's amazing! Thank you so much. I appreciate all the info. Honestly, I'm just glad she's a Stephanie (and not a Stephen) - and even happier that she's still probably an Olive Egger despite looking so different than the other three. We usually get Heritage breeds, but made an exception for these because we had some city kids living with us that had never seen baby chicks grow up - and were going to try to breed Olive Eggers anyway. Stephanie is a super curious and fun bird.

Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom