What breed is she?

Schungjohnson

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2024
IMG_9683.jpeg

I ordered 15 chicks and got 16… im wondering if this one was the extra, she doesn’t fit the characteristics of the breeds I ordered…

Ameracauna, black australorp, olive egger, maran, Plymouth blue rock, barred rock, sapphire sky, white leghorn

Attachments

• IMG_9682.jpeg
    IMG_9682.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 13
Looks like an Easter egger.
It could be!! I googled Easter egger chicks and mine does resemble an Easter egger… problem is the hatchery I got her from doesn’t have Easter egger as a breed they sell. I have some olive eggers from the same hatchery and they all have feathered feet like their maran parent.

I feel like a gold Wyandotte has a lot more colors and patterns on their faces! View attachment 3751993
The lighting in the pic is iffy. It is a possibility as the Goldens face mask can vary quite a bit. I was also seeing a rose or pea comb (bit difficulty to tell on the tiny chicks, but definitely NOT a straight comb). I had 2 chicks at the same time, the lighter mask developed a very gold head, the darker mask was much more muted. The darker mask as an adult
20230906_185452.jpg

I am thinking an Olive Egger or a Ameraucana. Both breeds can have muffs or a beard.
I think the only way to tell for sure if to wait until it lays either an Olive green egg or Blue egg or wait until it feathers in.
Maybe ask the hatchery about their Olive Egger and Ameraucana’s genes.

I am thinking an Olive Egger or a Ameraucana. Both breeds can have muffs or a beard.
I think the only way to tell for sure if to wait until it lays either an Olive green egg or Blue egg or wait until it feathers in.
Maybe ask the hatchery about their Olive Egger and Ameraucana’s genes.
I have 4 olive egger chicks from the hatchery and they all have feathered feet. I also have 3 ameraucaua chicks and they have fluffy cheeks! The one in question has neither!! lol first time chicken tender so I’m not sure how dominant these traits are in some and not others

The lighting in the pic is iffy. It is a possibility as the Goldens face mask can vary quite a bit. I was also seeing a rose or pea comb (bit difficulty to tell on the tiny chicks, but definitely NOT a straight comb). I had 2 chicks at the same time, the lighter mask developed a very gold head, the darker mask was much more muted. The darker mask as an adultView attachment 3752008
This could be her!! The hatchery does sell golden laced Wyandotte

I have 4 olive egger chicks from the hatchery and they all have feathered feet. I also have 3 ameraucaua chicks and they have fluffy cheeks! The one in question has neither!! lol first time chicken tender so I’m not sure how dominant these traits are in some and not others
Sometimes you can’t notice the fluffy cheeks until the bird starts feathering in.

Back
Top Bottom