Does anyone know of a sure-fire way to tell the difference between Starlight Green Eggers and Calico Princess??

OldSchoolSarge

Chirping
Apr 2, 2024
Southern New York
So, my hubby and I picked up some supposed-to-be Starlight Green Eggers from TSC. However, they were in a bin with Calico Princess chicks. Neither of us could tell the difference between the 2 breeds, and when we asked, the guy mumbled something about darker feathers on the backs as he grabbed out 2 chicks for us. After we got home, I did a bunch of googling, but as far as I can tell, there isn't a breed standard for either breed and the chicks can vary in looks a LOT, and some of them look identical to each other, even on Hoover Hatchery's website (TSC supplier). Soooo...does anyone have experience with those 2 breeds? Is there a way to tell them apart? These are the 2 chicks we got (along with others of a different breed!), one is darker and 1 is almost the same color as a Buff Orpington chick we got.

Attachments

• 20240403_095723.jpg
    20240403_095723.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240403_095729.jpg
    20240403_095729.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240403_095735.jpg
    20240403_095735.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240403_095738.jpg
    20240403_095738.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240403_095744.jpg
    20240403_095744.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240403_095755.jpg
    20240403_095755.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 3
If you look at pictures of the chicks on Hoover's website, you can see that chicks from both varieties are quite variable. So there's probably no way to tell at this point. Sometimes CPs have barring or white spots when their feathers grow out, so that might help differentiate them, but otherwise you'll have to wait until they lay, and judge by egg color.

If you look at pictures of the chicks on Hoover's website, you can see that chicks from both varieties are quite variable. So there's probably no way to tell at this point. Sometimes CPs have barring or white spots when their feathers grow out, so that might help differentiate them, but otherwise you'll have to wait until they lay, and judge by egg color.
I was suspicious that was the only way to know, and even then it's not sure-fire bc the Starlight Green Eggers have a 10% chance of laying brown eggs.🙄

Well, my calico and a friend's are both pretty dang calm now that they're laying. Like the only hen I own that I can just scoop up as I please, even when she free ranged. Don't know how friendly the starlight are though

Well, my calico and a friend's are both pretty dang calm now that they're laying. Like the only hen I own that I can just scoop up as I please, even when she free ranged. Don't know how friendly the starlight are though
I'm not against the Calico Princess at all, was more wanting a colorful egg basket!😂 I'm sure I'll love them either way!

No, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were. I just meant that if they all grow up looking similar, maybe the temperament would be different enough to tell them apart
Ah! Well, for anyone wondering in future, I contacted Hoover Hatchery (go to the source, right?) and this is the reply I got in return...

"Hello,

So at such a young age it is going to be very difficult if not impossible to tell these two breeds apart.

As they get older though, the green eggers will generally have what may look like a slicked back mohawk.

Also, if they are hens, as they start laying eggs the calico princesses will be brown and the green eggers will be green that vary in shade.

Hopefully this helps,
name" (name withheld for privacy)

So, seems I was played for a fool, but now I know! Time will tell, and in the meantime I'm going to enjoy my babies! 😁

Back
Top Bottom