Any coin collectors out there?

Does the year matter for all coins?
Yes, for a variety of reasons:
  • Older coins typically are more valuable because they're more rare (in theory, not always true).
  • Materials changes over time impact value. For instance, US Mint stopped minting quarters out of silver in 1965, so pre 65 coins have more value (fluctuates depending on silver pricing of course). Coins minted with precious metals seem to always be at least worth the metals weight if nothing else.
  • Design changes matter. More visually striking coins have more value, and they're usually minted for a period of time (like say bicentennial quarters were only 1976)
  • Coins stop being minted due to low circulation or paper changes (20 dollar gold eagles are an example. paper 20 dollar bills were easier to carry so they died out and as a result are worth mega bucks today).
  • Circulation of coinage for a given year may be lopsided (meaning one minting location produced a LOT while another location produced very few). So the coins minted in low numbers will have higher value than the more common ones.
  • Low production volume collector coins minted as legal tender tend to appreciate in value too, but it's a dice roll and they can fluctuate wildly in value depending on the whims of the collector community.
  • Minting nation matters too. Old Mexican pesos aren't valued as highly as old US coins for example. (again, there are some exceptions to this).
Condition and rarity are the really big keys to coins, as is popularity of certain designs. Finding the right mix in your coins is how you cash in on a collection (see what I did there?)

As I mentioned, I'm not really a collector and this is just stuff I've picked up as general knowledge. I'm certain a skilled numismatist would be able to go deep into this topic in ways I can't imagine.

Yes, for a variety of reasons:
  • Older coins typically are more valuable because they're more rare (in theory, not always true).
  • Materials changes over time impact value. For instance, US Mint stopped minting quarters out of silver in 1965, so pre 65 coins have more value (fluctuates depending on silver pricing of course). Coins minted with precious metals seem to always be at least worth the metals weight if nothing else.
  • Design changes matter. More visually striking coins have more value, and they're usually minted for a period of time (like say bicentennial quarters were only 1976)
  • Coins stop being minted due to low circulation or paper changes (20 dollar gold eagles are an example. paper 20 dollar bills were easier to carry so they died out and as a result are worth mega bucks today).
  • Circulation of coinage for a given year may be lopsided (meaning one minting location produced a LOT while another location produced very few). So the coins minted in low numbers will have higher value than the more common ones.
  • Low production volume collector coins minted as legal tender tend to appreciate in value too, but it's a dice roll and they can fluctuate wildly in value depending on the whims of the collector community.
  • Minting nation matters too. Old Mexican pesos aren't valued as highly as old US coins for example. (again, there are some exceptions to this).
Condition and rarity are the really big keys to coins, as is popularity of certain designs. Finding the right mix in your coins is how you cash in on a collection (see what I did there?)

As I mentioned, I'm not really a collector and this is just stuff I've picked up as general knowledge. I'm certain a skilled numismatist would be able to go deep into this topic in ways I can't imagine.
Theres a lot that goes into it then??

Yeah. Seems like a lot of people get really into it though so ther's a lot of info out there on it available if it's something you want to really explore.
I like collecting different ones, but not big into it. Now that I remember, I did get a coin book that already has some in it. Might look at it again and show on here later.

Back
Top Bottom