Any crazies out there like me with a diapered duck in the house?

I've got more pics of Misty. I've also been weighing her daily, on the third she was 2.1 ounces and today she's 3.6 ounces.

It's a little hard taking pictures of her, she's always on the move, plus she opens her mouth and runs from the camera most of the time.
roll.png

I'm also surprised how well she sleeps through the night, I've heard some of you having issues with it when they're little like this; but I guess as long as she can see me she's fine. I was a little worried I was gonna get no sleep while raising her.

Also, I was wondering if any of you have any advise for getting her used to my hands, she insists on following me through the house but runs at the sight of my hands, knowing that I'm gonna pick her up, even though she is content being held as long as she isn't being grabbed. Every time I go to pick her up, I put my hands on the floor and move them slowly towards her while talking to her, which she doesn't usually run from but still doesn't like. It probably will take a bit of time for her to get used to it.

Also, I was wondering if any of you have any advise for getting her used to my hands, she insists on following me through the house but runs at the sight of my hands, knowing that I'm gonna pick her up, even though she is content being held as long as she isn't being grabbed. Every time I go to pick her up, I put my hands on the floor and move them slowly towards her while talking to her, which she doesn't usually run from but still doesn't like. It probably will take a bit of time for her to get used to it.
Unfortunately my duck never got used to it. Even though I've been handling her regularly since the day she hatched (she's going on two years old now), she still dislikes my hands. She has no problem being near me in general, and she really enjoys playing with my feet, but my hands are a completely different story. Some ducks just never get used to being picked up, I think. She'll sit on my lap with no problem, but if I move my hands to grab something or gesture, she watches them closely and runs away if they get too near her.

Your duck is little, so it's entirely possible that she'll get over her fear of hands eventually. But, I'm just saying that she might not, despite your efforts, and it doesn't mean that she's afraid of you. It just means she doesn't like to be grabbed or restrained.

Unfortunately my duck never got used to it. Even though I've been handling her regularly since the day she hatched (she's going on two years old now), she still dislikes my hands. She has no problem being near me in general, and she really enjoys playing with my feet, but my hands are a completely different story. Some ducks just never get used to being picked up, I think. She'll sit on my lap with no problem, but if I move my hands to grab something or gesture, she watches them closely and runs away if they get too near her.

Your duck is little, so it's entirely possible that she'll get over her fear of hands eventually. But, I'm just saying that she might not, despite your efforts, and it doesn't mean that she's afraid of you. It just means she doesn't like to be grabbed or restrained.
I'm able to pet her with little or no problem, and cup my hand over her while she's on my lap. She also will cuddle up to my hands and go to sleep, as long as I don't make sudden movements. So it's only when we reach to grab her that she runs. It's nice to know she may always be like that.

I'm able to pet her with little or no problem, and cup my hand over her while she's on my lap. She also will cuddle up to my hands and go to sleep, as long as I don't make sudden movements. So it's only when we reach to grab her that she runs. It's nice to know she may always be like that.

She sounds like a sweetie.
smile.png
The best way for me to catch Bunny is by sort of herding her into a corner or other area where she can't escape (because she is so fast!), but stopping a few feet away from her so that she doesn't totally freak out. Then I sit down on the floor and very slowly reach my hand out to her while saying sweet things in a soft voice. Usually she'll let me grab her without a fuss then, although I can tell that she's still tense about it.

It's silly to me that she's more afraid of letting me pick her up, even though she's totally imprinted, than she is of exploring the house. If I leave her alone for a few minutes, half the time I'll find her just calmly wandering all over the place, searching for someone else to sit by. The great unknown of the house isn't scary, but Mommy's hands are terrifying.
roll.png

Just thought I'd give an update on Misty, she has unfortunately been having seizures (about 5-6 of them) since 3:30 AM this morning. I've been supplementing her with niacin and doing everything I thought I needed to since I got her. I don't know what could be causing it. I started giving her a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic mix at about 7 AM. I don't know if it has already made a difference, but she seems a lot better. I made an appointment at the vet for 2 PM today to make sure. She has also not gained any weight since yesterday, and has in fact lost a fraction of an ounce. I barley got any sleep last night, and my eyes are all puffy and red from crying... it is very hard watching her seize, some were very violent. I hope it's nothing major and she can get through this soon!

Wayan and Ketut love cuddles and kisses when they are at rest. While they are wandering around or swimming if I sit down or bend down and put my hands out they will have a little nibble or move away. They don't really like me picking them up, which is strange as they loved it when they were younger. When I do pick them up I ask them for cuddles and lean them against my shoulder and lie them on their back. This seems to relax them, then I give them kisses and put them back down.
Does anyone know why they would go all relaxed when I've titled them on their back against my chest and shoulder?

Last edited:
I hope Misty is doing better.....
She is. I think it must have been an electrolyte imbalance. She didn't have any more episodes after I gave her the vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic mix. And is back to gaining weight (now at 14.9 ounces!) and acting completely normal.
idunno.gif
The vet couldn't figure it out either. Then again she didn't seem to know much about ducks.

Last edited:
She is. I think it must have been an electrolyte imbalance. She didn't have any more episodes after I gave her the [COLOR=333333]vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic mix. And is back to gaining weight (now at 14.9 ounces!) and acting completely normal. [/COLOR]:idunno  The vet couldn't figure it out either. Then again she didn't seem to know much about ducks.

Great to hear Misty is better!

Back
Top Bottom