Any difference in tenderness between 6,8 10 week CornishX?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Cowgirlgrace, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Obviously the weight will be different but wondered on tenderness and quality of the meat. Is it pretty much the same between 6 or 10 weeks (if they live that long) And a 10 lb bird should dress out around 6-7 lb? At what age are they generally 10 lbs?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:They will live that long. I had girls I kept because it was too hot to do the butchering (not a fan of flys) They were laying eggs. One girl had a special place, when I went to butcher she got out and shot over to the other coop, wattling faster then I could grab, come to find out it was her laying in there and not my D'Uccles, needless to say I now have a CX x D'Uccle chick, broad breasted and cute, but it crys all day long.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We let some go right til 12 weeks last summer and they're the same as the younger birds. Huge, but not tough.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    We before now always got them a little on the "older side" (at 10 - 12 weeks) from a friends daughter who raises them for showing and usually did several shows then would give us a call when she was through - and then we would coordinate a pick up date - thus the age - and they still tasted just like the MOST tender juicy chicken I have ever had even a touch older! (OF course she spoiled them and they lived in the chicken Hilton too [​IMG] )

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I raised CornishX up to 18 weeks and used them inplace of the Thankgiving turkey. They dressed 12# plus tasted much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by