Any dog trainers on here?

Redyre rotties love the pic!!! I gonna have to have my male do that at the next fund rasier!
Lifesong Farm redyre has good advice I would add use a high value toy to start with though so hes more intrested. Make sure you use a command that you will rember also. I use phases with keys words so it sounds more like a converstion then a command. Its just the way i do it. So if i dropped my keys it would be Kiowa hand me my keys Then he places them in my hand the relase is thank you. I say the dogs name to foucus him on me. Then the command is hand me. The object i want is my keys. You do have to give things names though to do this.

Just found out at class last night im going to be teaching puppy classes!!!! Im super excited. Im hopeing we are going to be taking our CGC and therpy cerf test soon. We've been waiting for two months.

Does anyone do rally?

Thanks Redye! Totally makes sense. I am usually training dogs not to chew things other than their toys and now I have to teach an almost 2 yr old to start picking things up. Apollo has been an almost ideal dog. Never jumps even when he was a pup and I never had a problem with him chewing/mouthing anything but his toys. He is our farm nursemaidif we have a sick animal and always there willing and wanting to be a crutch when he is needed. That is what made me turn him into moms mobility dog.
My biggest worry now is when he takes it upon himself to take out a coyote. Last time he did it I was in the barn and no warning he took off after one. He was so quiet about it I didn't know till he was halfway across the field. Luckily he only chased that one into the pasture where my mare was waiting and he didn't get into close contact with him.

Do you mean a professional, paid trainer? Nope, fortunate to have worked with some very good ones though. But everyone pretty much is a dog trainer if they have a dog, like in marriage, for better or for worse...LOL.

Redyre, have you heard of teaching retrieving with an ear pinch?

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, I have. I have used this method in the past. I no longer use aversives like this when training my dogs, as I do not find it necessary.
big_smile.png

I also use Marker training with my two and love it! It is a highly effective, no confrontation/punishment way to train. This week I am working on "hup" (jumping over an obstacle) and it has been the easiest behavior I've ever trained with Falcon, my GSD! He loves jumping over the picnic table!
lol.png
I have found www.leerburg.com to be a very helpful website devoted to dogs and training. Lots of serious and not so serious folks! We are in the process of holding our second "video contest" on any NEW behavior - hence our "hup" sessions.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom