Any experience with a submergible Deicer to keep waterer from freezing

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fombellchicks, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    Hi, I am considering buying a submersible / submergible deicer for my 5 gallon metal chicken waterer to keep it from freezing. Has anybody used one like this? For some reason I would think it may work better/more economical, better contact etc. than the usual fount heater that you put under the waterer. I would just have to put a hole in the top with a rubber ring around it, to create the vaccum seal - not sure if that will make it too complicated...
    [​IMG]
    Cast Aluminum Deicer
    Multiple thermostat control de-icer 250 w cast aluminum for use in buckets or as a utility use deicer. Comes with 10ft cord with chew protector and a 3 year warranty.
    Ingredients:One De-Icer Consiting Of Cast Alluminum, Plastic An Electronic Components.

They cost $37 incl. shipping.

2. Jonny-Chicken

Jonny-Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    Lowbanks, Ontario
    Never used one of those. I find a heated pet bowl works nice. The one I have is 1.2 gallons I think. Bought at TSC Store.

3. MrGreenJeans

MrGreenJeans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    COS
    This is my first year with chickens (so first winter as well) and I bought a very similar model to the one you posted. I've been using it combined with a thermostat controlled outlet for the girls' outside waterer (which is a 5 gallon plastic bucket with holes cut in the side.)

So far, so good - it was down to -2F last night but when I went out this morning with treats there was no ice in the bucket. I know mine has a thermostatic shut off so it won't burn itself up if it's not submerged, but I don't know at what temperature it tries to regulate the water, hence the extra thermostat outlet. Granted 200 or so watts won't break the bank, but we have quite a few months of winter in Colorado so I'd like to keep it turned off whenever it's warm enough outside to do the work.

4. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    Well, I stopped at my local Tractor Supply Store today and found a Allied Heated Pet Bowl, 5 qt on sale for $14.99. So I decided to give it a try since it much cheaper than the water heater and I don't have to mess with the metal chicken waterer cover.

Does anybody have a problem with the chickens sitting on the edge and pooping into the water bowl?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  5. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Quote:I raised mine up on scrap boards and they don't mess it up as much. They don't perch on it at all. I have the dog size dish as well as extra 5 gal heated buckets so I never run out. I carry 10 gallons of water to the barn and fill everything up twice a day. The horses have a 100 gal tank with a floating de icer. So far this year everything is ice free. The chickens also have access to the larger buckets and the horse tank. Only once have I seen a chicken perch on the side of the stock tank. They usually stretch their necks over to sip.

6. dale

dale Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Yesterday I bought a similar unit for $35.00 at the local farm and feed supply. Thermostat shuts it off at 40 degrees; 250 watt.

I have this unit (see link) and just took the base off and stuck the top in a galvanized feed tray about the same depth but a littler larger in diameter, stuck the heater in and filled it with water. 12 degrees last night and had no ice

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/3gaplpowa.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by