Any experience with chickens reaching point of lay in the winter?

We got our girls in the end of May 2008 - 1 each: BSL, RIR, and BR. They hit 20 weeks sometime in October but didn't start laying until Thanksgiving Day, 12/29, and 12/30 (respectively). They laid faithfully all winter. We have gotten eggs pretty much daily since that time. We didn't have extra light in the coop, live in the grey Pacific Northwest, but do have a clear roof on the coop.

Simple truth is, you will know when the time comes. You can do the artificial light thing, or let nature take its course. The light will probably work, but red stars might very well lay through the winter anyway. They were bred to lay.

I'm from NH and have never used supplemental lighting. My hens started laying in October and never stopped throughout the winters. They slow down a bit come mid-winter, but never stop completely. They also slow down a bit come mid-summer, too.

There are different schools of thought regarding the use of supplemental lighting. Some swear by using it, but others feel that it shortens hens' productive life and should be avoided. No consensus has ever been reached as to which is more accurate. So whatever you decide to do, you should still keep that in mind.

Good luck and have fun with your new hobby. Chickens are great.

Quote:
Ditto. I've had new layers start laying about the same time (October) and they layed pretty regularly through winter. I've never used supplemental lighting.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom