Any experience with Downsizing your flock?

lashla

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
Oregon
D.gif
Hello BYC'ers!

I need some advice for downsizing my flock! I moved into a new house that has a coop with two hens (1.5 years old). They are an established mini-flock. I also brought two of my own chickens who are 3 months old. I've been working to integrate the two groups but it's been difficult (whenever I put them together the feathers start flying!) It's certainly a work in progress.

The problem is the coop only will only fit three comfortably! I would also need to get a permit if I kept four chickens. I am thinking of selling one of the older chickens to a good home. Will this make the remaining older hen more hostile towards my chickens? Anybody have any advice on how to do this in a way that will cause the least amount of stress to the chickens?

Last edited:
D.gif
Hello BYC'ers!
.... I am thinking of selling one of the older chickens to a good home. Will this make the remaining older hen more hostile towards my chickens?

Anybody have any advice on how to do this in a way that will cause the least amount of stress to the chickens?
I don't think that it will make the remaining hen any less hostile toward your 2 juvenile chickens. I don't know that it'll make your remaining hen any more hostile.

All of the tricks or strategies recommended to reform a so called bully or hostile hen, most if not all of these strategies in one way or the other are designed to either depress or destroy the alpha hen's self-confidence. If this is not the definition of stress then I don't know what stress is..

I have time and time again recommended against mixing, ages, colors, types, sizes, strains, and purposes (laying, broiler, show) chickens in a backyard flock because then the chickens keeper is setting the stage for the weaker birds to be treated in the most cruel way by the stronger birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom