Any experience with Frontline on chickens with mites?

I think I'm going to try the Ivermectin. My feed store has it. Without knowing the correct dosage or application, I guess I shouldn't use Frontline on the chickens (and I don't want to waste it if it's not going to work, as it's expensive!).

FYI: buying the Large Dog size Frontline, and measuring it out using a syringe, works great and saves me a ton of money (3 cats and one small dog). Per my vet, it's 100% safe to use the dog Frontline on cats. However, you can't use the cat Frontline on a dog (has an additional ingredient that dogs don't tolerate). I find it to be effective against fleas, but not great with ticks (that's why we have the chickens!).

I use Frontline plus for big dogs on my silky chickens. I use 2 to 3 drops one at the Crowne one in the middle of the back and one above the vent. Initially I use the front line on day one and day 15 and then if I see no mites I use it in six months just one time so I give it in the spring time and in the fall. I have had Excellent results getting rid of a long-standing problem with mites. Since using the frontline plus I have not seen so much as one mite on my chickens in a year. My vet also recommended frontline plus for large dogs for my chickens.

I have used Frontline on my Chickens for years and it is absolutely wonderful !. However it is expensive. A tip is to buy the very large Dog size and measure it out according to the weight of the chicken. The Dog Frontline is identical to the cat one, except for the size of the pipette. Eggs, still taste great !.

I have been thinking of trying out the Ivermectin, but this is purely from a cost perspective.

Frontline is a great product for dogs and cats, but is NOT approved for any livestock in the USA. It will be in the eggs for the lifetime of the hen, and who knows how long in the meat. Permethrin spray is safe, easy to use, and approved for poultry. Also inexpensive. There's no reason to use an unapproved product when there's such an excellent alternative. Mary

I've used the Frontline Drops on my Chickens for years, its relay effective and doesn't seem to affect the eggs at all. So much more effective that using permethrins, which when used in sufficient quantities to kill the mite's seems to make the Chickens feel ill. I can see from the posts Frontline is also quiet popular with other Chicken keepers too. But i'm realy keen to know if anyone has any experience with the spray in particular.

Last edited:
Frontline is a great product for dogs and cats, but is NOT approved for any livestock in the USA. It will be in the eggs for the lifetime of the hen, and who knows how long in the meat. Permethrin spray is safe, easy to use, and approved for poultry. Also inexpensive. There's no reason to use an unapproved product when there's such an excellent alternative. Mary
Hello Mary

So i'm not entirely sure if you are saying that you have experience of using Frontline Spray on Chickens or not ?.. That was my question after all.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom