Any experience with Frontline on chickens with mites?

PO is per os, by mouth, not sure why anyone would give frontline orally... This last link says nothing about topical/dermal application in chickens. I tend to not want to use chemicals on my chickens at all however I've had a severe northern fowl mite problem in my main coop and everything besides frontline has failed so far, permethrin and pyrethrin sprays, bathing in dawn, permethrin dust, DE, wood ash, neem oil, all applied in 3-5 day intervals for 2 weeks, etc and these mites have still persisted and killed birds very quickly. I've had 3 in chicken ICU, they've literally been on deaths door, gave them each a final bath and applied 2 drops of frontline (2 have been roosters so no risk of chemicals being in the eggs)one on back between wibgs and other above the vent, but bam, no more mites on these birds and they made full recovery.
If someone accidentally applied too much topically, it's possible that a chicken could ingest too much from preening, It's also possible that it could be absorbed thru the skin.

You say your permethrin spray hasn't worked, but did you mix it correctly? The mixing directions are quite confusing, so maybe you used too diluted a solution?

What I read about pyrethrin sprays is that they don't have the residual effect of permethrin, so probably not worth using them.

DE doesn't work, period.

Wood ash won't treat mites.

Bathing with Dawn doesn't work, and probably not a good idea to bath birds that are critically ill.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom