Any experience with owls harming your chickens?

Out here that owls like cats, not chickens. I remember hearing one guy talk about having to cut down an old tree and an empty owl nest was in it and broke all apart when it fell. Know what they found? 43 cat collars!
th.gif

We have very large owls here but I lock up all my chickens/guineas inside our coop every night and we've never had a problem with losing any of them. I know I'd have already lost some if I didn't lock them up securely at night.

We lost 4 of our 5 hens this winter to an owl. I never saw him/her in the act, but during the 2 weeks it took our chickens to disappear, there was an owl hooting in the trees nearby at nite. Since the chickens went into their house at nite, the owl had to be getting them during the daylight hours.

Wow, it seems like lots of chickens are lost to predation. From the ground, from the air, at night and during the day. These guys have it pretty bad I guess. I bought 5 thinking they would probably be ok to free range along with 16 guineas. I guess I can count on a few of them being lost. I will do what I can to keep them safe but I can't watch them 24/7. Maybe lady luck will lend me a hand. I hope I have enough to sustain a breeding population. How many is too many or not enough with 10+ acres? So new, so many questions!

Quote:
LOL, I feel the same way. I'm all for protecting endangered animals but I'm more for protecting my home, land and their contents.

Back
Top Bottom