Any first timer want to start with me? Eggs go in 4/1. ;)

Rob if my temp was measuring that much of a difference, I'd buy a new one. I have 2 thermometers in my bator and they are about 1/2 degree off. I would imagine that they would be better with lower heat, than higher. I heard if they were just a little lower that the chicks would take a few days longer to hatch.

Its my first time with a broody hen, I just put the eggs under her this morning. Separated her and hope she doesnt a good job, shes got 9 eggs.

Definitely get a more reliable thermometer than what comes with the LG ... I posted my experience on another thread.

My DH found a cheap one at Walmart with the temperature and the humidity, that also shows if there have been fluctuations:

040209_601w.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I will get a new thermometer. One that shows humidity too. Um, what humidity am I after?

I was told to stay between 30%-40% for the first 18 days, then 45%-55% for the last 3 days, and I have also read that alot of other people do the same. Although I have read some that have their humidity at 50% for the 1st 18 days, then 60%-65% for the last 3 days. I think different %'s work for different people. I am only on my first hatch so I guess I will see if this works for me.

I set some eggs on the 1st too in an old styrofoam hovabator.. This is my second attempt this year, my first try resulted in all the eggs quitting in their second week. My MIL sent a dozen eggs for me to try and hatch for her, and I bought some eggs from an Amish farm and put a couple of them in with the EE. No idea what kind of eggs they are, but my MIL won't know the difference, lol. Hopefully I can get something to hatch this time.

I'm doing several things differently. I added 1/4 cup water to a dish for humidity, and will add more on the 7th day, and if I still have viable eggs on the 14th day, I'll start raising the humidity. (I got this idea from EweSheep) I also have them in the center of the incubator in an egg carton that I'm tilting 30 degrees twice a day.

I hope this works. It seems like when I first bought my incubator, I just followed the instructions that came with it and had great hatches. Three years later, I started having trouble with soggy chicks and quitters. It's seven or eight years old now, and I haven't used it for a couple of years, except for the one time last month.

Wish me luck and if anyone has any tips, please let me know!

Hi, I was told that you should never put eggs on top of each other in an incubator? I am new at this so I could be wrong, but thats what I was told. I am on day 6 with my first hatch so I hope all goes well. Good Luck with your hatches!
thumbsup.gif

It's Day 3 for me ... no way am I going to be able to wait until Day 7 to candle a few ... no way.

LG still air, no fan or turner, turning them 2x a day by hand, and they are lying on their sides on a piece of nonslip shelf liner. (I noticed it leaves a mark on the shell and hope it's not serious!!)

Back
Top Bottom