Any first timer want to start with me? Eggs go in 4/1. ;)

Quote:
I had a couple that took all day after pipping in the morning. I wondered if they gave up and died in the shell. Then 10 hrs later, out the came!

Did yours get out?

Whoever said this takes forever was not kidding LOL. So at 3 am i looked saw a biger hole but not realy a zip all the way around just bigger hole/? Woke up at 7 am i can see beak and when i whistle it talks bk to me he is blk from what i can see. No others have piped hope that he was just early and the others will pip soon. I keep crossing my fingers. This will be a long day
smile.png

First pic is of 3 am
second pic 7 am

26948_p1090822.jpg

26948_p1090823.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I had a couple that took all day after pipping in the morning. I wondered if they gave up and died in the shell. Then 10 hrs later, out the came!

Did yours get out?

this morning it was still alive but hadnt broken any more away. I opened it up a little and it was very weak, a little more I broke away I noticed its bottom had this bright green algae looking goo on it. It was kind of stinky too. I felt sorry for it but graciously placed it in a plastic bag and put it out of its misery. The other 2 eggs I disposed of, I dont think they were fertile. So Im happy with my 4 chicks, so cute. Mom was off the nest anyway, she was done. Now lets just hope I dont have 3 roosters.
roll.png

ams3651, Im so sorry! Its for the best though, from what you said. I wonder what that green stuff was? I never heard of that. Maybe it was like gangreen or something? Poor thing must've had an infection. That had to have been hard, but I would've done the same thing. Anyways, I am glad you got your other chickies too! That would suck if they were all roosters!

Hopin they are girls....
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

I'm sorry, ams3651. :-(
One of mine had a poorly healed umbilicus and a little bit of greenish goop; it also need alot of help to hatch. My guess is that the green stuff is unabsorbed yoke gone bad.
Glad you've got some healthy peeps, though! Here's hoping they're all pullets!! :)

After weekend update.

We had 3 that pipped on the bottoms. One did not make it. I managed to flip the other 2, one was bloody. They did not zip after 24 hours so I gave them some help. They spent over night in the bater drying off. This morning they were good enough to go into the brooder with the rest.

So out of 23 eggs in the bator, 3 were infertile, 1 drown in water, 1 died from pipping on the bottom, and I have 11 cute lil fuzzbottoms in the brooder this morning.

smile.png
smile.png
I am happy. I wanted 4-6 hens, I was expecting poor results with my home made bator. So with 11 chicks, I am sure 7 will end up being roos.... and I will get my 4 hens.

Now I am waiting for my new webcam to come in from ebay/hong kong so I can watch them while I am at work.

Edit: hmm it appears my counting skills are quite poor.. there are only 9 lil chickies in the bator. .. . I will count again tonight to see if that number changes...

Last edited:
It sounds like you need to get your incubator dialed in. It sounds like you are running too cool. Adjust it until the eggs hatch out and are dry on the 21st day. A chicken that stays in the egg over 22 days is doomed anyway. They often have crooked legs , necks and toes as well as other issues. So it's best to fix your incubator.

I had one chick hatch on 26 I noticed a duck egg that looked grey
sad.png
it was leaking and stuck to turner i had to spray warm water on it to get it loose. It looked like it died around day 16 . I have no idea why the other look fine and r moving they are due May 2. I also lost a chick this morning that piped and it looked like the yolk broke he was blowing yellow foam out the top. He had his beak out and then a few hrs later he stoped breathing i removed him quickly out of bator. Poor baby I just hope the rest hatch. I have one with a large hole i can see most of his head but he has not broken out been like that since 4 am . I hope he makes it

My first chick didn't hatch until day 22. Several hatched on day 23. and a couple on day 24.

We had over a 50% hatch rate. We started with 14 eggs and got 7 chicks. I also dropped 3 eggs which cracked. Not bad considering I made my incubator from junk around the house. (I felt a little like MacGyver-lol) My eggs came from who knows where, purchased on ebay.

My temps ranged from 97-104. Usually it was at around 101. The eggs were handled mercilessly by kids and adults! We loved candling them!

My point- you just never know what you are going to get. I think that my chicks are all OK. Or maybe it was just luck!

Back
Top Bottom