Any Fishing Enthusiasts here ?

Pics
@itsasmallfarm,

It's a channel catfish. You can tell by the forked tail.

It put up quite a fight. I broke my record for largest catfish.

Yes, I have personal records for fish I catch.

When it comes to species, 5th place belongs to a smallmouth bass, 3 pounds, 12 inch long approximately, caught in the Snake River, Idaho On May 3rd, 2017.

4th Place belongs to a largemouth bass, approximately 6 pounds, approximately 15 inches long. Caught in fernan Lake, Idaho. Date is forgotten.

3rd place is a channel catfish, 23in, 9.8 pounds. Caught on April 11th, 2019 in the snake river in Idaho

2nd place belongs to a northern pike, 29 and 1/4 inches, 12 lb. Approximately. Caught April 13th, 2016 in Lake Coeur D' Alene in Idaho

First place belongs to a white sturgeon, 46 and 1/4 in, approximately 35 lb. Caught January 7th, 2012 on the Columbia River in Oregon.

These are the top 5 in my personal records.

Jared

nice fish!

is that a channel catfish? sorry don't have many catfish where i live.
But I'm sure you have Northern Pike and Walleye. Much better eating, though I do like channel catfish if it does not come from a weed-infested pond with agricultural run-off that gives the flesh of catfish a gross muddy taste. When I lived in Northern Montana I went to a pond that contained lots of nice-size rainbow trout. But I found out that they were totally inedible, because of the run-off and the cow poop-fertilized weeds and scum in the water. The trout did eat little crustaceans and assorted bugs, but with every bug they ate they ingested also some of that green scum. You could find plenty of it in their stomachs. And its flavor permeated the flesh. So from then on I just practiced catch-and-release there. But I had two reservoirs and a couple of small rivers not too far from where I lived where I could catch walleye, sauger, yellow perch, pike, and good-tasting trout.

@itsasmallfarm,

It's a channel catfish. You can tell by the forked tail.

It put up quite a fight. I broke my record for largest catfish.

Yes, I have personal records for fish I catch.

When it comes to species, 5th place belongs to a smallmouth bass, 3 pounds, 12 inch long approximately, caught in the Snake River, Idaho On May 3rd, 2017.

4th Place belongs to a largemouth bass, approximately 6 pounds, approximately 15 inches long. Caught in fernan Lake, Idaho. Date is forgotten.

3rd place is a channel catfish, 23in, 9.8 pounds. Caught on April 11th, 2019 in the snake river in Idaho

2nd place belongs to a northern pike, 29 and 1/4 inches, 12 lb. Approximately. Caught April 13th, 2016 in Lake Coeur D' Alene in Idaho

First place belongs to a white sturgeon, 46 and 1/4 in, approximately 35 lb. Caught January 7th, 2012 on the Columbia River in Oregon.

These are the top 5 in my personal records.

Jared
Excellent record, Jared!

My records are not that impressive: lots of coho salmon (caught in Kodiak, Alaska) in the 14-lb category. One 30-lb.halibut (Kodiak). One30-lb. Pacific octopus caught by the beak on a circle hook while fishing for halibut. One Northern pike (Montana) 37 1/2 inches (did not weigh it). One 5 1/2-lb. brown trout (Montana), one 4 1/2-lb. brook trout (Montana). Now, my wife really caught a huge fish while fishing from our 19' Mako: a halibut estimated (judging from the length) at 350 lbs.

But I'm sure you have Northern Pike and Walleye. Much better eating, though I do like channel catfish if it does not come from a weed-infested pond with agricultural run-off that gives the flesh of catfish a gross muddy taste. When I lived in Northern Montana I went to a pond that contained lots of nice-size rainbow trout. But I found out that they were totally inedible, because of the run-off and the cow poop-fertilized weeds and scum in the water. The trout did eat little crustaceans and assorted bugs, but with every bug they ate they ingested also some of that green scum. You could find plenty of it in their stomachs. And its flavor permeated the flesh. So from then on I just practiced catch-and-release there. But I had two reservoirs and a couple of small rivers not too far from where I lived where I could catch walleye, sauger, yellow perch, pike, and good-tasting trout.
yup we have tons of walleye, northern pike and yellow perch, all really good eating here. also i enjoy a good burbot.

yup we have tons of walleye, northern pike and yellow perch, all really good eating here. also i enjoy a good burbot.
Walleye fillets battered in beer batter and fried... I can almost taste them, and I haven't had any since 1984, when from Montana we moved to Alaska. In what province do you live? We went often to the Calgary, Alberta, airport from Montana when we traveled to Europe. We lived first in Joplin and then Gildford, on the "Highline," a few miles from the Canada border. I had a friend who had a farm north of Joplin right on the border, which was marked only by the two strands of wire of a fence. I hunted for Hungarian partridge and sharptail grouse on his farm, and I must confess (the statute of limitations has run out) that when I spotted grouse on the prairie on the Canadian side of the border I crawled under that fence and went after them. I am sure I did not cause any international incident! The only thing I had to worry about were some wild cattle that now and then appeared and did not seem very friendly. They were more effective in keeping me legal than a whole squadron of RCMP would have.

I just caught another massive catfish. Possibly bigger than the last one. Photo is not cooperating when I'm trying to upload it, so I will upload a picture when I get home.

This one put up a 2-minute fight.

20190412_163946.jpg

Going to measure and weigh when I get home.

I'm not a big fan of rainbow trout....I keep probably one nice steelhead a year and smoke it.... But perch and walleye (sauger too!)
Are about as good as it gets...

Back
Top Bottom