Any game hen experts who can help me identify my pullets?

ivymae

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Columbia, SC
I got my two girls from a co-worker last year and have never been able to figure out what type of game hens they are. The best guess I can make is Harold Brown Greys, but my online research turns up so many upsetting cockfighting results that I haven't gotten too far with it. Is there anyone out there who can help me confirm their breed? They're about 9 months old now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The first picture was taken just moments after she laid her first egg last weekend
smile.png

64089_cotton.jpg

64089_cotton_connie.jpg

64089_cotton_coop.jpg

The grey one looks like a silver duckwing old english game hen. (I cant tell if they are standard or bantam though) I dont know about the buff hen. I think the varieties of birds that have a persons name as the name of the breed are named after the person who developed a group of birds to have particular traits, and while they come from the original game varieties they dont meet the standard of perfection anymore.

Quote:
There's not a buff bird up there.

The white, cream, and brown birds are Salmon colored. I agree with the silver ducking color on the second hen.

I don't think they are OEG. To me, their type doesn't look quite right and their tails aren't at a very high angle. But, I'm not good with games so they could be.

Both hens are American Game Fowl (the breed is American Game Fowl).
I would say the "Silver" hen in the second picture a Grey and the hen in picture one could be a Hatch or a Hatch/ Grey cross.

As for being, "Harold Brown Greys" it is hard to say, Harold Brown was a breeder of Grays so his line of Grays are called Harold Brown Grays but there are a lot lines of Grays.
Example -
Bumblefoot Grey, Frost Grey, Marsh Speeders, English Grays, Goode Grey, Perfection Grey, Flarry Eye, Harold Brown Grey Hatch, Regular Grey, Law Grey, Shorty Bullock Grays etc.

Chris

Lots of people get the color Buff confused like that - One of the many reasons things like EE's get mixed up with Ameraucanas.
smile.png

They look like Games to me though, and VERY pretty. Not Salmon in color though.

I got my two girls from a co-worker last year and have never been able to figure out what type of game hens they are. The best guess I can make is Harold Brown Greys, but my online research turns up so many upsetting cockfighting results that I haven't gotten too far with it. Is there anyone out there who can help me confirm their breed? They're about 9 months old now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The first picture was taken just moments after she laid her first egg last weekend
smile.png

64089_cotton.jpg

64089_cotton_connie.jpg

64089_cotton_coop.jpg
U want to sale em?

Back
Top Bottom