Any geocachers here?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MeatKing, Dec 31, 2011.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

We just got a garmin gps thingy for Christmas so we can geo cache. Any one here do it? Any suggestions for us new bees?

2. bluesub

bluesub Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    There's a geocaching site that let's you find caches in your area. I've done a few with my children during the summer. It's really fun and gives the kids something to do while you are hiking. Just remember to bring something to refill the cache. Oh, and sometimes the gps gets you close to the cache, but not exactly on it, so you have to do a bit of hunting (not that the kids minded...).

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    yepp, we geocache. it can be a lot of fun. Check out http://www.geocaching.com/ There are tons of cool treasure-hunting expeditions and you can create your own and get feedback from those who find it. addicting!

edited for typo!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We haven't gone in a while, but we used to on a pretty regular basis. We have a couple caches we maintain and have containers with the intent to place more. I think it's great fun! The only tip I have is that often the metal base on light poles can lift up. That is a popular hiding spot and one that took us a while to figure out.

5. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I do it! It's amazeingly fun!

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    My husband and I don't get to do it often while we are on different schedules (he works nights), but yes! He introduced me to it, and we do it when we can. We have a lot of wilderness areas out here, and it's really fun to search for the one rock/branch/cactus to find it. [​IMG]

7. bobcatridge

bobcatridge Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Central California Coast
    We have done quite a bit of geocaching. It is lots of fun and a great activity with kids. One of the best sites we have found so far was a geocach on Catalina Island in a pet cemetery.

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank-you everyone! I joined that site awhile ago [​IMG] It's awesome eh?
    Kids and I found 4 today [​IMG] We are all tired here now.. It was a beutiful winter day -1 and -6 with windchill.. Sunny gorgerous, love it. Can't wait to go again. Gonna be a nice new family thing 4 us

9. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by