Any good color imaginers?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
We are going to paint our house this summer. Inside
smile.png
. We have a kinda open house, the hallway, living room, dining room, and kitchen are all one color, no doorways, nothing. We need a color for those that will go with forest green carpet. Then we need to paint the laundry room. This is a separate room, but needs to match the others. We have wooden moulding, not white. Any ideas? I love yellow, but for that much space it'd be AGH and IDK how it'd be with green carpet.
smile.png

I don't have pictures of the rooms to be painted, but I have pictures of the moulding and carpet. They are from my room though.

22333_dd.jpg

22333_p1010331.jpg

When last I was in a mega store, they had a shocking number of paint cards for white. I'd use a really pleasing white and then use bits of colors in pillows, etc. It would be clean, bright in winter, a good background for art work, and not compete with the tones in the wood around the windows.

I'll describe my house....

DDs room, three walls are white/hint of pink with one wall a vibrant purple, white sealed concrete with a LARGE pink area rug.
DSs room, three walls white with one wall a medium blue, white sealed floors then covered in med/dark gray carpet.
Our Room still has the icky old carpet, but is painted sea green... hubby's fav.
Actual Master that we use as a study is khaki with white sealed concrete and a large oriental area rug (Memaw)
The master bath is a sea green/teal color
The hall bath is a cloud blue color
The living room is Love Birds... white, with a hint of pink (different from DDs) with the pale pergo wood floor
The hallway and dining are pergo'd with 'Sunshine' (a very pale yellow) walls.
The kitchen floor isn't done and all I've done in there is cover the wallpaper with white kilz.

I love the yellow... many don't even notice it... until I tell them 'how do you like my yellow walls?" then they're like "Ohhhh hey that's nice" it is sunny, and not the typical white, but it's not eye-blinding either.

And, I think that a nice pale yellow could go well with a green floor... sort of sunny skies meet green fields. Not plain, not eye-blinding, but warmer than industrial white.

But, the khaki color of the study would also go well I think... in there unless you're in full sun or every light is on you cannot even tell that it's not white... like the ceiling... it's just a hint warmer... if that makes sense. Greens and browns blend well together, but medium to dark walls will make your rooms seem smaller... hence landlords and agents suggesting white so the rooms look bigger.

A pale color of any shade will help make the rooms look large, without the plainness.

*passes salt cellar*

If you do go for a lighter coffee color as it was put, try Sherwin Williams' "Shaker Beige". If you have a store near you, you could go in, pick the color card, and then go have it matched somewhere else that would be cheaper. I used to paint on a nearby campus during the summers. One summer we put that same Shaker Beige in many buildings. It goes really well with most other colors, and really well if you have wood trim.

When I was painting my house in SC to put it on the market, the "interior desecrator" recommended by my realtor said not to use eggshell-white everywhere, which was my inclination. I ended up with a pale, pale misty green in the master bedroom and bath, and a pale butter yellow (more the color of heavy cream) in another bedroom and bath. Loved both of those colors, and they were so subdued as to feel like neutrals. I couldn't find a beige that I liked for the dining room and music room; tried one and it was too light, another and it was too dark, so I had the paint store mix the two and it was perfect. I had my way with everything else, and my way was off-white, but then I'm a boring off-white kind of person!

Back
Top Bottom