Any guess on his breed? Thx

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chicks rule, Oct 31, 2007.

1. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    [​IMG]

or this one, got him from the animal shelter
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I want to say they are mixed breeds. What types... not so sure, but maybe some BR in the first guy.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one looks like a Black Sexlink rooster-they do look somewhat like Barred Rocks, but with green tailfeathers sometimes and more cuckoo barring. The second one could be a Wyandotte mix.

4. jennrauch

jennrauch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2007
    Now I;m shooting in the dark here, but I think the top one looks just like our old SLW. Good luck they are pretty handsome.

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm thinking Buttercup for the second one.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think they are mixed breed. The second one looks nothing like the buttercups I have had in the past. Buttercup males have that big cup shaped comb.

7. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    I think the first may be a Black Sex Link, he does have the green tail feathers, My grandson had named him Alexis, until he crowed then he became Alex.

The second one is a banty and has I believe what you would call a rose comb, he is little but that doesn't bother him at all when it comes to the bigger roosters, he will chase my Brown Leghorn roo all over the yard.

I have seven roos and am finding it hard to decide which to keep, so far everything and everyone are getting along. I have six hens laying and eleven that haven't started yet. As of two days ago one hen went broody and has nine eggs under her, I have no idea if they are fertile but we will see.

8. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Beautiful roos, you got them at the animal shelter? Wow, I have never even checked there. I did not know that they took chickens. I'll have to look now.

9. chicks rule

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Quote:Just the second little guy, was looking on Petfinder.com, at my local shelters and there he was. He was living in town nest door to an officer who worked night shift, guess he didn't appreciate his crowing under his window during the day, [​IMG]

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The first one is a black sex link rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by